Entrepreneur Week speaker advises job-seeking students

fgfddg: Steve Pogorzelski, the keynote speaker for the Global Entrepreneur Week kickoff, said he is optomistic about the future job market. He encouraged students to look for jobs they are passionate about.

The continuing economic crisis drove UW-Madison students and faculty to the Global Entrepreneurship Week campus kickoff Monday. 

Keynote speaker Steve Pogorzelski, former president of Monster North America and 2006 recipient of the UW-Madison journalism school's Distinguished Service to Journalism Award, spoke about the effects of the crisis on young university students. 

Pogorzelski said because of the national economic crisis, corporations have cut back on the hiring of college graduates. However, Pogorzelski remained positive, saying the conditions of the economy will get better for people currently entering the job market. 

There's going to be some short-term gain, but I am going to guarantee that there will be some long-term gain for you folks. You just have to weather the storm,"" he said. 

Pogorzelski encouraged students who are undecided on a major to avoid financial incentives and to focus on finding a job based on their interests. 

""If you are money-oriented and you haven't figured out what you really want to do or what you love to do, don't look at the starting salary, look at your career [as a whole],"" he said. ""I can guarantee you if that's what you are going by, you are probably better off in the long run."" 

According to Pogorzelski, the Internet has changed how companies are able to find and recruit candidates.  

""The Internet has brought multidimensional recruiting, so now you can look at jobs from all over the world. Now, rather than waiting to acquire a job, people can find you and gauge your interest to apply to the company,"" he said. 

According to Pogozelski, gestures such as dressing nicely and sending thank you notes can make a difference in clinching jobs.  

""Eighty-five percent of employers expect a [thank you note],"" he said. ""A little thank you makes a big difference.""  

As students continue to struggle to find a job with a decent salary, Pogozelski suggested nonprofit internships or professional jobs as suitable for gaining knowledge.  

""You may not get paid, but you will gain real-world experience, and you will get great referrals and recommendations,"" he said. ""Don't let this economic crisis affect your confidence in your future, in your ability to find meaningful work that you are passionate about."" 

Global Entrepreneurship Week continues Tuesday with a technology entrepreneurship seminar at 3:30 p.m. in 1180 Grainger Hall and at 6 p.m. in the Entrepreneurial Deli in the Pyle Center's Alumni Lounge.