Stadium Bar's violations demand city compromise

By Jon Spike 

The Daily Cardinal 

As if Bucky's struggles on the football  

field were not enough, it appears a local bar and its loyal patrons are taking a media hit of their own.  

The Stadium Bar came under heavy scrutiny earlier this week for posting the numbers of Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, Ald. Julia Kerr, District 13, and Ald. Robbie Webber, District 5, on their large TV screen in the outdoor bar area following Saturday's Penn State football game. The Stadium Bar posted the numbers as an opportunity for their concerned patrons to call their local officials if they were upset about the city mandate that outdoor beer gardens close by 10 p.m.  

The Stadium Bar's outdoor beer garden permit dates back to 2006, according to reports compiled by the Madison Police Department. The time deadline for the outdoor bar is said to reduce noise for surrounding residential areas. 

Jim Luedtke, head manager and operator of Stadium Bar, claimed the bar decided to post the number following numerous complaints and problems stemming from the early closing of the outdoor beer gardens. In police reports from both 2006 and 2007, the bar was reported as having serious issues moving the large amount of outdoor beer garden patrons - often between 150-250 people - into the building or out of the area by closing time.  

City officials had already planned to meet with Stadium Bar owners regarding their understanding of the outdoor bar activities in relation to the city's plan commission and their approved activities, and last weekend's phone calls only served to exacerbate an already contentious issue. According to Webber, she received a number of bitter calls from likely intoxicated Stadium Bar patrons. 

I personally think it doesn't matter what the occasion is unless it's an emergency or the person is a friend, it's not OK to call me late at night,"" Webber said. 

Webber also believed Mayor Cieslewicz was upset over the calls. Joel Plant, assistant to the mayor, did state that though Cieslewicz did not personally receive any of the calls, they were inappropriate in nature. 

Although the Stadium Bar should have thought twice before inciting a large contingency of intoxicated fans to call their local politician, one cannot forget the basic tenets of representation. Whether or not Webber or  

Cieslewicz found the calls appropriate, they must respect the voice of their constituents, drunken or not. If anything, Stadium Bar brought a new group into the political dialogue of the city's plan commission's requirements on outdoor beer garden permits, albeit in a less-than-professional manner. 

However, the city has to consider what they are mandating within the scope of reality. Home Badger football games occur six to seven times per year. Often times, games starting at 11 a.m. do not cause significant problems for police or Stadium Bar officials in clearing out the gardens before 10 p.m. For some perspective: In 2006, five out of the seven UW home games started at 11 a.m. and the other two started at 2:30 p.m. In 2007, four out of the seven home games started at 11 a.m. and only one game was later than 2:30 p.m. This year, all games except the Ohio State and Penn State games started at 11 a.m., and two more games' start times are to be determined. 

With around half the games each year unlikely to cause any major issue with Stadium Bar's outdoor beer garden, city officials should reconsider the permit restrictions on outdoor beer venues. Additionally, games that do start at 7 p.m. on game days often last longer than the 10 p.m. deadline, forcing Stadium Bar owners to shut down their outdoor scene to patrons who came to see the game in the Stadium Bar's signature outdoor venue. Loosening the time restrictions on Stadium Bar and other outdoor beer gardens wouldn't hurt, especially since outdoor events each year for badger home games are so infrequent. And, with November quickly approaching, fewer and fewer patrons will be willing to stay outside past 10 p.m. anyway. 

Madison officials such as Webber and Cieslewicz have a right to complain about being harassed by calls, but they also need to take note when their constituents are upset over an issue, even if it is something as trivial as outdoor beer consumption. With the infrequency of home games and the small list of downsides, Madison officials should advise the city's plan commission to reconsider the outdoor beer garden permits. Badger games are a part of the culture, and area residents understand that Stadium Bar will be loud on game days well before they signed a lease to live nearby. If anything, change the time stipulations for the ailing Badger fans this year.  

Jon Spike is a junior majoring in secondary education in English. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.