School of Engineering dean for diversity affairs dies unexpectedly at age 44

UW-Madison's assistant dean for diversity affairs and student leadership programs in the College of Engineering died unexpectedly Monday.  

Steven N. Clark, 44, received awards citing his contributions as an advisor, role model, administrator and humanitarian. Recently, the UW-Madison Polygon Engineering Council, which represents the students of the engineering school, named Clark the recipient of its Diversity in Education Award. 

Steve had great energy and enthusiasm for his work,"" College of Engineering Dean Paul Peercy said in a statement. ""It was apparent in everything he did '¦ He will be greatly missed."" 

Clark joined the College of Engineering staff in 2006 and implemented a recruitment and retention program for underrepresented student populations. 

Before serving as a dean at UW-Madison, Clark was appointed director of the Department of Multicultural Student Affairs at the University of Miami in Florida.  

""Steve was fond of a quote from Mahatma Gandhi, who said, 'You must be the change you wish to see in the world.' Steve believed that and lived it every day,"" UW-Madison assistant vice provost for diversity and climate Damon Williams said in a statement. 

Clark worked with Rockwell Automation to fund five full-time scholarships for underrepresented students from the Milwaukee area who attend the College of Engineering. Clark also contributed to enhancing fundraising efforts for the College of Engineering Diversity Affairs Office.  

Clark is survived by family members in the Chicago area. Memorial arrangements have not yet been set.