Recent downtown robberies cause university officials to stress Freakfest safety precautions

Dean of Students Lori Berquam is reminding students to look out for their personal safety during Halloween and Saturday's Freakfest in the wake of recent downtown crimes. 

If you plan to go out Friday or Saturday, take care of yourself and each other,"" Berquam said in a statement. ""I'd encourage you to go out in a group, cooperate with law enforcement and security personnel, and place limits on your alcohol consumption."" 

Berquam also advised against costumes of a crude or culturally insensitive nature when students choose their costumes for the weekend's festivities.  

According to Berquam, no glass will be allowed on State Street during Freakfest and the throwing of any object will result in arrest. Any inappropriate behavior can result in university suspension or expulsion. 

As an alternative to activities on State Street, Berquam said there are other events planned through the Wisconsin Union, which will take place at Memorial Union and Union South.  

Berquam reminded students that outside visitors are not allowed to stay in University Housing Oct. 31 to Nov. 2.  

'Trick or treat' with UW Greeks 

Sororities and fraternities on campus will host the annual ""Trick or Treat with the Greeks"" with children from the Madison area from 2 to 6 p.m. Oct. 29.  

Children who participate in the event will have the chance to tour haunted houses, decorate cookies and paint pumpkins in the Greek houses on Langdon Street. 

The Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association organized the event with the help of over 500 fraternity and sorority volunteers, who will supervise the children participating.  

Proceeds from scholarship donations will go to participating children's hospitals.