No one person bears responsibility for Badgers' losing streak

No one person bears responsibility for Badgers' losing streak: More than one aspect of the football team should take responsibility for recent failure

When a team goes through a tough stretch and plays so far below expectations, it's only natural for spectators to hand one person all the blame. But if the blame for Wisconsin's troubles is directed at a single person or element, wouldn't that be overly simplifying things? During Wisconsin's current four-game losing streak - its first in more than a decade - the Badgers have been entirely outplayed in just about every phase of the game. 

Bret Bielema has done a great job handling the media in a difficult situation, a time where any other coach might snap and instantly lose his patience. He's done the right thing by accepting complete responsibility for what has gone wrong. He knows that his team hasn't been adequately prepared to compete with its opponents. It's much better for him to be honest about this rather than think of sneaky ways to defend himself.  

People who are already questioning Bielema's job security need to consider what he has already achieved during his short tenure in Madison. In his first year, he led the Badgers to their most wins in school history. Despite lots of adversity and injuries, he still led Wisconsin to a New Year's Day bowl appearance last season. 

Most importantly, he's been through both the good and the bad while conducting himself with tremendous class and professionalism. He simply deserves more chances. He's one of the youngest coaches in the FBS, and though he has a ton of prior experience, he still has a lot more to learn about what it takes to succeed. In reality, this disastrous season might even make him a stronger coach in the long run. 

As for senior quarterback Allan Evridge, it's a sad story of a guy that every fan wanted to see succeed. The transfer from Kansas State had some bright moments during Wisconsin's early victories. Although his stats were never overwhelming, he played the game smart and made good decisions. Maybe it all unraveled in Ann Arbor, but somewhere along the way, Evridge lost his confidence and never quite got it back. 

Unfortunately, the Badgers have learned the hard way that you can't win without a confident quarterback and the ability to make plays in high-impact situations. Wisconsin accumulated more offensive yards than Iowa last week, yet they were outscored by 22 points because of Iowa's ability to make big plays that resulted in longer drives.  

So what direction do the Badgers take with this issue? For starters, they need to continue to recruit heavily at quarterback. In the past two seasons, there was a relatively tight race for the starting quarterback spot. This encouraged positive competition between the candidates. But it was also quite distressing that each quarterback didn't have the superior natural skills to separate himself from the rest of the pack. 

You also have to feel for the seniors, those who came in with such high expectations for their final season in Madison, only to see those dreams vanish just as quickly as Wisconsin's fast start. Players like senior tight end Travis Beckum, who could have easily bolted for the NFL but returned to Madison in hopes of finishing what he started, have been let down. Now, with nagging injuries and no quarterback to form a regular chemistry with, questions have been raised about Beckum's future in the pros. 

But enough with the pity, because in the end these players have no one left to blame but themselves. They let down their fans and the entire campus community. The passion and dedication that Wisconsin fans have shown toward this team should have translated onto the field. 

In reality, it seems appropriate that the university and the team itself should strive to place the blame not just on one person, but to hold everyone equally accountable. It encourages the concept of team - that the Badgers have succeeded but also suffered as one. 

After another embarrassing loss to Iowa last weekend, the Badgers emphasized a need to go back to square one and go back to playing Wisconsin football."" There are still five games remaining and the Badgers need to rediscover what led to their success in the past, or perhaps redefine the team's identity entirely. 

The Badgers should play not for post-season position but for their own pride and the future of the UW football program. Then maybe they can regain some of the confidence they've been lacking and end the season not with utter disappointment, but something they can build upon for years to come. 

If you don't care about the football team's future and just want to burn some witches in the meantime, e-mail Matt at mfox2@wisc.edu.