Council approves 2008 Freakfest security funding

Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway: Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, wants Freakfest expenses to be included in the next year's city budget.

The Madison Common Council voted unanimously Tuesday to approve the city's proposed contract for Freakfest 2008 and to allow the appropriation of $40,000 of Madison Police contingent reserve funds to fund security for the event. 

Translation: all systems go for this year's party. 

The referendums were not passed without discussion of how the city pays for this event, however. 

Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, said that while she does not oppose the city helping in funding the annual event, the costs should be considered in the making of the city budget for the following year.  

City expenses for Freakfest, not considered in this year's city budget or in that of 2009, are usually paid for with reserve funds within the Madison Police Department.  

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said these expenses largely fund security staffing for the event, but that security costs have been steadily decreasing. 

He added that police costs are the highest of city expenses and that safe and successful events over the last two years have helped the city reduce its cost. 

This year we're cutting back on some of the security because, luckily, we can. We haven't had problems the last few years,"" he said. ""So we're saving money by not having as many cops at this event.""  

Council members also said at an upward trend in revenue generated by the event shows that Freakfest may soon be able to pay for itself. 

Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, said that while ticket prices are rising this year, he hopes to start working toward making the event free to Madison area students.  

""Now that it's huge ticket items, like O.A.R.,"" Judge said. ""I think that students, because they give so much to the city, should in their own way be able to enjoy what used to be a free event for free and get the benefits of being Madison citizens.""