Badgers ready for powerful Buckeye attack

John Clay: Freshman running back John Clay could see more carries after a 54-yard run and a touchdown against Michigan Saturday.

Embarrassed after blowing a 19-0 halftime lead against Michigan last weekend, the No. 18 Wisconsin football team is hoping that the aura of Camp Randall will provide the psychological boost it needs to defeat No. 14 Ohio State. 

They're a very good team,"" senior running back P.J. Hill said. ""But they're coming into our home, and we play well at home."" 

The Badgers (3-1 overall, 0-1 Big Ten) have not lost at home since 2005, and head coach Bret Bielema has a perfect record in Madison. Losing to Michigan was a big letdown, but the team's ""1-0"" philosophy has everyone looking forward to Saturday night. 

""I believe in four different interviews that I listened to, our players last night made reference to '1-0' and this is the mentality they got to take,"" head coach Bret Bielema said. ""They really do believe in the things that we emphasize."" 

Ohio State (4-1 overall, 1-0 Big Ten) started out as one of the country's top-ranked teams until Sept. 13, when they were slaughtered 35-3 by then-No.1 USC. The Buckeyes are the second-highest-ranked team in the Big Ten after Penn State and defeated Minnesota 34-21 in their conference opener. 

OSU freshman Terrelle Pryor has emerged as the Buckeyes' top quarterback after starting his second game last week. If last week's 97 yards on the ground is any indicator, Pryor is just as much a threat on the ground as through the air. 

""He's an extremely talented playmaker, not only just running the football, but throwing the football,"" Bielema said. ""He's got tremendous poise in the pocket."" 

Ohio State running back Chris Wells will also be a force to be reckoned with, coming back with 106 yards for 14 carries against Minnesota after missing the last three games with an ankle injury. Like UW, Ohio State has options for running the ball, as running back Dan Herron racked up 50 yards against the Gophers to contribute to a team total of 277 yards. 

Hill, who gained a lackluster 3.2 yards per carry against the Wolverines, said the OSU defense is known for its quick linebackers, including James Laurinaitis, who recorded 12 tackles last week. 

""Watching a little film, once you just get on those guys you can make a big difference,"" Hill said. ""They're very agile. Those guys are going to make you work. They're not going to make it easy, but I'm always up for a challenge, and I know my guys are."" 

Known as a running team with a big and powerful offensive line, Wisconsin will likely go back to basics and try to run the ball. But because Michigan was able to stop UW's running game, Evridge ended up passing more than he handed off last weekend. 

Freshman running back John Clay got his hands on the ball just three times against Michigan, but was able to earn a breakaway 46-yard gain and score UW's only touchdown. Clay will likely be more central to UW's offensive strategy from now on. 

""As coaches, you get in a situation where you know every play counts, and you're in the third and fourth quarter, and you know P.J. Hill has been there, done that,"" Bielema said. ""[Clay] does exactly what we ask him to do, and that's why I'm so excited about him for the future."" 

If the running game fizzles out again, senior quarterback Allan Evridge will finally have both of his favorite targets - tight ends Garrett Graham and Travis Beckum - healthy for a game. Graham was out last weekend with a foot injury, and Beckum missed some practice last week with a hurt hamstring, but the tight-end tandem is set to play Saturday night. 

Wisconsin lost 38-17 when it faced the Buckeyes, the three-time defending Big Ten champs, last season. 

To say last week's 27-25 loss to Michigan was disappointing is an understatement. But there is no time to look back when you can be 1-0 against Ohio State. 

""Any time you play the game that you did on Saturday and have it end the way it did, they're going to be excited to play anywhere,"" Bielema said. ""And to have it be in Camp Randall, to have it be at night, to be in an environment that they've had a lot of success in, I'm sure makes them all feel better.