Wisconsin RNC delegates say McCain-Palin ticket best for state

grosskopf: UW-Madison senior Sol Grosskopf, an alternate delegate, is representing Wisconsin at this week's Republican National Convention.

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Wisconsin delegates to the Republican National Convention said Tuesday the party's presumptive presidential candidate, John McCain, is a great leader who will uphold ideals and values that the state's residents cherish most. 

Wisconsin voters don't like egotistical politicians,"" said Scott Southworth, a delegate from the 3rd Congressional district. 

""Wisconsinites want people with ideas, but they want to be talked to, not at,"" he said. 

Southworth stressed the election of McCain would benefit the Dairy State by ""ensuring that Wisconsin families can raise their kids the way they see fit, worship God the way they see fit and buy the things they want and need without extraordinary taxes."" 

Sol Grosskopf, an alternate delegate from the 8th district, said he agreed and added the country has historically been shaped by its ""oddball"" politicians like US. Sens. Russ Feingold and Herb Kohl, D-Wis. 

""I honestly think Wisconsin wants to have an interesting politician that's not always polished and defined,"" Grosskopf said. 

Grosskopf, a UW-Madison senior from Shawano, Wis., said he believes McCain understands that government should be limited in people's lives and may often be a problem rather than a solution. 

""In reality, the individuals should be making choices for their lives and not some group of people, whether it be a block away or hundreds of miles away,"" he said. 

Both Grosskopf and Southworth praised McCain's choice for a running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, and said they do not believe the disclosure of her teenage daughter's pregnancy will negatively affect her. 

""I would rather have somebody that has gone through problems in life and overcome them than somebody that has been perfect their entire life,"" Grosskopf said. 

Southworth added Palin, who serves as commander in chief of the Alaska National Guard, has executive experience that he believes Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama lacks. 

""We've got a strong woman,"" he said, adding the attacks by Democrats about Palin's lack of experience ""don't stick.