Week of events to celebrate energy initiative success

To celebrate the achievements of the We Conserve energy initiative, the university will host weeklong festivities beginning Friday.  

The We Conserve campaign began in April 2006 and has since been dedicated to the integration of lifelong community consciousness of energy conservation. The initiative strives for efficient systems, informed community members, realistic expectations and responsible actions.  

A kickoff concert at the Memorial Union Terrace Friday will start the weeklong celebration. Concert artists include You Oughta Know, Pearl Snap Saturday, Polydream and Roster McCabe. 

Faramarz Vakili, program director and associate director of the physical plant administration, said the goal of the campaign is to instill the spirit of environmental stewardship.  

We need [students'] help to develop and implement effective and sustainable energy conservation measures for our campus, and to make smart energy use a conscious part of our daily responsibilities, decisions, activities and lifestyles,"" he said. 

Within the past two years, We Conserve implemented projects to reduce consumption by $4.6 million a year and reduce carbon-dioxide emission in the environment by over 37,000 tons a year. 

UW-Madison is taking part in the effort by remodeling several buildings to accommodate energy conservation. Renovations to Engineering Hall and Chamberlin Hall's $3.7 million energy upgrade yield annual savings of approximately $1.6 million. 

Vakili said he hopes the conservation week will be more than just an annual event. 

""This is a lifelong habit '¦ as a university community we should hold everyone accountable for this goal,"" he said.  

Other events during the week include Smart Transportation Day, a ""Why Conserve"" Forum, and a Recycling Day. The events offer tips for greener rooms, campus recycling and a light bulb exchange.