Voters confused by McCain campaign mail

The campaign for Republican presidential candidate John McCain caused confusion last week when it mailed campaign materials with incorrect voting information to Wisconsin residents. 

Absentee ballot registration forms came with each of the mailings, but some of the forms included inaccurate addresses for local clerks' offices.  

According to Mike McCabe, director of the watchdog group Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, if voters send absentee ballots to these incorrect addresses, their votes might not be counted if the mistake is not caught in time. 

McCabe said the mix-ups may be an innocent mistake, but he cannot discount the possibility that it could be due to partisan misconduct.  

It doesn't smell right, and it certainly looks as though democratic voters were targeted in particular,"" McCabe said. 

He said people should be weary of what they receive in the mail in relation to campaigns and anyone voting with an absentee ballot should do so early. 

Mark Jefferson, executive director of the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said the mailings were meant to get more people, including Democrats and Independents, involved in the voting process and to avoid long lines on Election Day by voting absentee. 

He said the mistakes were very few compared to the amount of mail the campaign sent out. 

Kyle Richmond, spokesperson for the Government Accountabilty Board, which oversees elections, said the Board looked into the matter and found nothing illegal about it. 

He said the mailings did include confusing information for voters, and clerks who receive incorrectly mailed absentee ballots would either throw the ballots away or contact the clerk at the correct location.