Vilas Zoo maintains national accreditation

giraffe: Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison was renewed as a nationally accredited zoo by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums Tuesday.

Madison's Henry Vilas Zoo once again achieved national distinction Tuesday, after the Association of Zoos and Aquariums renewed its status as an accredited zoo.  

The AZA's independent Accreditation Commission awarded the Vilas Zoo accreditation for meeting high standards in every aspect of its operations,"" joining a list of 218 zoos and aquariums nationwide. 

To be accredited by the AZA, a zoo or aquarium must complete a rigorous six-month application process, in which the institution is inspected to determine if it meets the necessary standards in animal care, veterinary medicine, education and conservation.  

""This is a very meaningful achievement '¦ because we are a science-based organization and our standards of animal care and welfare are always rising,"" AZA representative Steve Feldman said. 

Feldman said accredited zoos must undergo the application and inspection process once every five years and that the Vilas Zoo's ability to maintain those standards without charging admission is impressive. 

""The fact that it's a free zoo '¦ is fantastic. It means it's supported by the community and it's really affordable for students to go visit."" 

Zoo director Jim Hubing said the Vilas Zoo has been accredited by the AZA since the early 1970s and that accreditation sets the zoo apart from others.  

""[Accreditation] means that we'll provide the very best animal care and that we subscribe to all of the breeding recommendations for the species survival plans,"" he said. ""It is a great accomplishment for everybody here.""