Tomato recipes sweeten summer meal

Tomato:

Tomato recipes sweeten summer meal

You can buy them in cans, as a paste or in jars of sauce, but there is nothing like biting into a fresh, ripe tomato in the summer. It remains a controversy whether they should really be a vegetable or a fruit, but that just means these savory sweet treats can please nearly any palate.  

As the summer comes to an end, take in those final few rays of sun and last summer-fresh tomatoes. Check out these top-eight tomato-licious recipes to make the most of your surplus of fresh or already prepared tomatoes.  

1. Bruschetta 

With the ingredients in your kitchen, you can enjoy a fast and easy appetizer or topping to any sandwich or salad. Bruschetta is usually made up of diced tomatoes, garlic, chopped basil, salt and pepper. Just top it with a combination of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, throw it on top of your favorite toasted bread and you have an appetizer to impress even the pickiest palate.  

2. Tomato Sauce 

A good tomato sauce can make or break any dish. It isn't just for pasta; tomato sauce can add flavor to your choice of protein for lunch or dinner. You can use it for a decadent chicken parmesan, or top off a veggie burger with some cheese and marinara à  la Amy's Café style.  

If you can't find a brand you like, or want to be a little more inventive, try making your own with canned or fresh peeled tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, chopped onions and oregano to start. Make it your own by adding your favorite seasonings or vegetables. 

3. Salsa 

While it is tempting to save your favorite salsa for some salty tortilla chips, salsa can pack a punch to make your meal healthier. Try a mango salsa - even if mango isn't always your favorite - and use it to top off grilled salmon or chicken. To make your own from scratch, combine mango, tomato, lemon juice, lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper and jalapeno to your liking. If you don't like mango, dice up pineapple to substitute.  

4. Avocado, roasted corn, red onion and tomato salad 

This salad includes exactly these ingredients and plays up a variety of textures to make your taste buds tingle. Just mix in salt, pepper, olive oil, cilantro and lime juice to top it off. Eat it alone, add it to your salad or pile it on top of your favorite burger for a Southwestern feast.  

5. Bloody Mary 

If you are hitting the snooze button before a Badger football game and need to grab a quick drink, the mix may be the best route to take. But if you want a true Bloody Mary, don't just combine vodka and tomato juice. You will need a drop of horseradish, a couple of splashes of Worcestershire sauce and a dash of hot sauce as well. Don't forget the celery stalk to make your creation complete.  

6. Tomato Mozzarella Sandwich 

Tomato Mozzarella can be a great option for salad as well if you drizzle some olive oil on top and garnish it with basil. But try to beat Cosi's overpriced option by making a better sandwich yourself. Thinly slice the tomato and cheese, put them on your choice of bread and onto the stove for a grown-up grilled cheese.  

7. Stuffed Tomatoes 

If you have a hodge-podge of leftovers and aren't sure what to do, stuffing them in a tomato is a great way to make a pseudo-gourmet dinner that tastes great, too. First, scoop out the inside of a large beefsteak tomato - don't worry, you can cut it up to use for a sauce or for your mango salsa. Throw in any already cooked rice, veggies and meat to the hollow tomato. You can sprinkle the top with shredded cheese and cook until warm.  

8. Pizza 

Okay, this might seem like the most obvious option, but no one really makes pizza anymore despite how easy it can be. Buy a prepackaged dough, spread on your favorite marinara sauce and add your choice of toppings.  

For a Margherita pizza, forget the tomato sauce. Instead, drizzle with olive oil, cover with fresh mozzarella, basil and sliced canned or fresh tomatoes. If you don't finish it, toss it in the freezer for a pizza that is definitely not delivery.