Men charged in fatal bar fight outside Plaza

stout: Bail was set at $250

The Dane County District Attorney's Office filed formal charges against two Madison men Tuesday in connection with the Sept. 3 slaying outside the Plaza Tavern, revealing new details of the events leading up to the death.  

Justin Stout, 31, is charged with first-degree reckless homicide for the stabbing death of 22-year-old Juan Bernal.  

Travis Knapp, 34, who was with Stout the night of the homicide, is charged with aiding a felon by hiding the knife Stout allegedly used to kill Bernal. Additionally, Knapp faces a felony bail jumping charge for drinking the night of the homicide, which violated terms of a bond stemming from a previous conviction. 

According to the criminal complaint, the three men were drinking at the Plaza on the evening of Sept. 3 when an argument broke out between the defendants and Bernal near the bar's jukebox.  

Stout, Knapp and Bernal soon began fighting physically outside the doorway to the bar. According to the complaint, friends of Bernal pulled Knapp away from the scuffle by his jacket as Bernal placed Stout in a headlock and began striking him about the head. 

Stout suddenly broke free from Bernal's hold and grabbed Knapp away from Bernal's friends, and the two ran off toward the southwest corner of Gorham and Henry Streets, near the Crave Lounge. 

According to Knapp, Stout then passed him the knife used in the stabbing, which he threw shortly after he fled down West Gilman Street toward State Street. Witnesses to the incident pursued Knapp, detaining him until police arrived.  

Witnesses also pursued Stout as he fled, striking him in the head with a mixed-drink glass from the Plaza, causing a deep gash on the side of Stout's head. When police arrived, blood from Stout's wound led them to his apartment at Master Hall, located at 415 W. Gilman St. Police arrested Stout and transported him to a local hospital, where he was treated for his injuries.  

Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer said Stout and Knapp are scheduled to appear in court Sept. 16 for a preliminary hearing.