Doyle speaks at Stem Cell Summit

Gov. Jim Doyle highlighted Wisconsin's important role in the stem-cell industry during his keynote speech at the World Stem Cell Summit in Madison Monday. 

Doyle said he was honored Wisconsin was chosen to host the summit and proud of the state's early and prominent role in stem-cell research. 

In working together to move science forward, we are advancing our most fundamental understanding of life sciences, and we are working to bring breakthroughs from the laboratories to the patients,"" Doyle said. 

He said there has been a political battle in Wisconsin over the ethical aspect of stem cells, but it never hindered the progress made in the state. 

According to Doyle, Wisconsin values research and considers the advancement of science a high priority. 

""The battle, in political terms, is really over in this state,"" Doyle said. ""The people of Wisconsin chose science over religion and politics."" 

Researchers put much consideration into the moral elements of stem-cell research and must remind people of how carefully decisions are made, according to Doyle. 

Doyle said while Wisconsin has made important advancements in the stem-cell industry, it has never been about winning a competition against other states. 

He said it is more important to advance science overall, and breakthroughs in Wisconsin could lead to advances throughout the country. 

""Whether there's a winner or loser, Wisconsin is going to be a major factor in stem-cell research for many, many years to come,"" Doyle said. 

Earlier Monday, James Thomson, a UW-Madison biologist who made an important breakthrough last fall when he made skins cells act like stem cells, also gave a keynote presentation on reprogramming cells. 

At the summit, Doyle received the National Leadership Award from the Genetics Policy Institute for his success in supporting stem-cell research in Wisconsin. He recently announced a plan to invest $750 million in stem-cell research and biotechnology in the state.