Campus remembers students killed in crash

Candle-light vigil for student: Family and friends light candles to remember Lindsey Plank, Dan Myers and Rick Putze. Dean of students Lori Berquam led the service.

Members of the UW-Madison community gathered at the Red Gym Monday evening to pay their respects to students who died in a car crash days before the fall semester began. 

Lindsey Plank, 23, Dan Myers, 22, and Rick Putze, 22, were killed in a single vehicle car accident Aug. 27 on Midvale Boulevard.  

Dean of Students Lori Berquam began the service with a reflection of the students' lives at the university through a Power Point video. 

I know it is a time of reflection and a time of grieving but it is also a time to celebrate these students' lives while they were here,"" she said. ""It is the stories about these three young people that will keep us going and will keep their legacy with us."" 

Faculty members from the chemistry and music departments spoke of the students' talent and spirit in the classroom. 

Frank Keutsch and Chad Wilkinson, members of the chemistry department said they thoroughly enjoyed working with Plank and Putze. 

Keutsch, research instructor to Plank, said she was always full of energy and enthusiasm no matter what she experienced. 

""She was so much fun to work with '¦ she was so positive and so full of life, that when you saw her, that is what you could see,"" Keutsch said.  

Todd Wellborn of the music department spoke of Myers' versatility as a student. He said Myers immersed himself in musical studies aside from practicing his instrument.  

""The music program at UW-Madison is the closest one can get to a conservatory program '¦ but Dan was not a typical conservatory student,"" he said. ""He was interested in things outside of his instrument, outside of music."" 

Friends of Putze said they would always remember receiving stacks of Billy Joel CDs from him.  

Another student said she only knew Putze for a short while but enjoyed the time she had spent with him.  

""I did not know Rick very well and I am having a hard time, I can only imagine what you all are going through."" 

After friends, faculty, staff and neighbors spoke of the students' childhood, adolescence and college life, attendees proceeded to the back of the room to light a candle of remembrance. The ceremony closed with the singing of UW-Madison's signature song 'Varsity.'