Bail set in fatal bar fight stabbing

: A cash bail of $250,000 was set Friday for Justin Stout, the man accused of a fatal stabbing outside the Plaza Tavern Wednesday night.

Bail set in fatal bar fight stabbing

The man accused of stabbing a fellow patron outside a downtown bar last week made his first court appearance on charges of first-degree homicide Friday during a bail hearing.  

Justin Stout, 31, is currently being held on $250,000 cash bail in connection with the homicide of Juan Bernal, 22, who suffered two fatal stab wounds to the chest Wednesday outside the Plaza Tavern at 319 Henry St. Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain said it did not appear Stout and Bernal knew each other. 

Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer said the violence leading to the death stemmed from a disagreement over music playing on the tavern's jukebox. 

It's just unbelievable that such a senseless tragedy occurred over music,"" Verveer said. 

Also appearing in court Friday was 34-year-old Travis Knapp, who was with Stout the night of the stabbing.  

Knapp was awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to substantial battery following an incident in which he punched a woman in front of the Pub Tavern on State Street in February. Knapp was ordered to abstain from drinking, but police arrested him for felony bail jumping after Wednesday's stabbing when his blood alcohol content was .13, Verveer said.  

Dane County Court Commissioner Dan Floeter set cash bail of $5,000 for Knapp. Verveer said Knapp could also face additional charges related to the incident at the Plaza. 

If Stout posts his $250,000 bail, Floeter ordered him to not have any contact with members of Bernal's family or with Knapp. He must also stay away from the State Street area and not possess any dangerous weapons. 

Stout is expected to return to court for an initial appearance and face formal criminal charges early in the week, according to Verveer.  

Verveer said he hopes the Plaza does not incur a negative reputation as a result of the incident. He described the Plaza as a model establishment that typically poses few issues to police or the city's Alcohol License Review Committee. 

""The Plaza is the furthest thing from a problem bar,"" Verveer said. ""It just goes to show that this really could have occurred anywhere.""