5 things to watch

1. Freshman Phenom 

Ohio State brings to Camp Randall a rising star in freshman quarterback Terrelle Pryor. Since the Buckeyes' 35-3 loss to USC, Pryor has taken over the majority of snaps in Jim Tressel's offense. Unlike the former starter, senior Todd Boeckman, Pryor is both a dangerous threat on the ground as well as through the air. The freshman has racked up 292 rushing yards this year while averaging over six yards a carry. Last week against Minnesota, Pryor rushed for 97 yards. In order to slow down the Buckeye offense, it is vital the Badgers control Pryor and stop his big-play ability. The Badgers had enough trouble last week against Michigan with the running game of freshman quarterback Stephen Threet. Wisconsin will rely greatly on its speed at the linebacker position and will look for another big game from senior linebacker Jonathan Casillas. 

2. Which Evridge Will Show? 

One of the important questions coming into the 2008 season was how senior quarterback Allan Evridge would adjust to taking over for Tyler Donovan. He has shown signs of both excellence and mediocrity during Wisconsin's first four games. But the second half at Michigan last week has left Badger fans with a sour taste in their mouths. After peaking against Marshall by going 17 for 26 for 308 yards and one touchdown, Evridge struggled against Fresno State. He completed 50 percent of his passes and accumulated 143 yards through the air. Last Saturday in Ann Arbor, Evridge had statistically the worst game of his Badger career. He was intercepted twice, with one taken back for a touchdown that gave Michigan the lead, and fumbled twice as he was being sacked. He looked uncomfortable in the pocket and held the ball for too long. The Badgers will need Evridge to minimize his mistakes if they want to beat one of the Big Ten favorites. 

3. Recovery 

Some losses are tougher than others, and last week's crushing defeat to a below-average Michigan team was not an easy one for the Badgers to endure. Wisconsin was unable to survive a crazy weekend of college football where seven top-25 teams lost. Now with the four roughest weeks of Wisconsin's schedule coming up, the team needs to learn from its mistakes and focus on the Buckeyes. If Ohio State takes an early lead the Badgers need to show their resilience and keep their concentration instead of letting it all fall apart again. The Badgers also need to recover from their recent turnover problems, as they now have eight turnovers in four games. A fast start will be critical for Wisconsin to get Camp Randall rocking. And once the crowd gets behind the Badgers, Wisconsin must maintain their momentum to put away the Buckeyes for good. 

4. Nowhere to Run 

Teams across the nation know the Badgers rely heavily in the run. Stopping Wisconsin becomes a whole lot easier when defenses are able to turn the Badgers into a one-dimensional offense. Michigan consistently had eight men in the box last Saturday, and the Badgers simply failed to convert on the ground, especially late in the game when they needed to. They were a dismal 6-19 on third down conversions; half of the six coming in the last two drives of the game. The Badgers finished the game with 158 rushing yards but if the 46-yard run by freshman John Clay is subtracted, Wisconsin was held to 112 yards on 43 attempts. That comes out to an unimpressive 2.6 yards per carry. In order to compete offensively against the Buckeyes, Wisconsin has to open up the run by using their passing game effectively and wisely. If the Badgers can prove to Ohio State that they are a two-dimensional team, Wisconsin can open up their entire playbook. 

5. Injury Bug 

The injury bug has bitten the Badgers early this year, especially on offense. Both of Wisconsin's top tight ends have recently missed playing time. Junior Garrett Graham missed last week due to an ankle sprain and preseason All-American senior Travis Beckum has been battling a strained right hamstring all year, and was severely limited in his number of snaps last weekend. The Badger passing attack has suffered lately without the presence of Graham and Beckum. Sophomore wide receiver Maurice Moore was also absent from last week's game. He had a groin injury but is expected to be ready for practice and the contest on Saturday. If Beckum is healthy and plays, he is only 22 receiving yards away from moving up to sixth on Wisconsin's all-time list. A healthy offense and a consistent passing game will be essential for the Badgers to compete and beat Ohio State.