UW considers implementing interactive version of DARS

The implementation of an interactive Degree Audit Reporting System website may help students navigate class options and degree requirements more easily in the future. 

According to Mike Pflieger, assistant dean of UW-Madison's College of Letters & Sciences, the website would be similar to the Miami University of Ohio system. 

Pflieger, who is responsible for encoding L&S degree requirements into the DARS software, said UW-Madison has a licensing agreement with MU-Ohio to possibly purchase a version of the interactive audit. 

Molly McGlone, assistant director for the L&S Honors Program, said the current DARS seems cumbersome,"" while the interactive DARS is more readable because it is color-coded.  

Additionally, Pflieger said he thinks planned courses could be included in the audit even before students register for them. 

Unlike the current DARS, the interactive system will link to the undergraduate course catalogue, allowing students to see class descriptions as they search class requirements. 

According to Claire Wagner, director of MU-Ohio's news and public information office, their version of DARS has been in place for about four years. 

""I think everybody thinks it's a trustworthy system,"" she said. ""I don't really hear complaints about it."" 

McGlone said the next step is gauging student opinion about whether they would find it helpful, but Pflieger said no official plans have been set by the registrar's office, which manages DARS. 

""This interactive audit piece is on a fairly long list of things to be done to enhance how DARS is used on campus,"" he said. 

""It's just a matter of trying to balance cost with resources."" 

McGlone said she believes the system could be implemented across campus if there is sufficient student interest expressed. 

""As an advisor,"" she said, ""I think this would be a fantastic tool.