Badger football: looking ahead

Lance Smith: Junior Lance Smith brings blazing speed to a deep Badger backfield

Badger football: looking ahead

The 2008 offense looks like a typical one for the Badgers: great blocking and running with a mediocre passing attack. The team's running game and tight ends will be nightmarish for opposing defenses in the red zone, but to be an elite team, the Badgers need someone to step up at quarterback and wide receiver. If the wideouts can't take advantage of the single coverage, then truly good defenses, like Ohio State's, will simply focus on the run and neutralize the tight ends.  

Quarterback  

Allan Evridge didn't win the starting spot last year, but as a fifth-year senior and former starter at Kansas State, Evridge holds the same crucial advantage over his competition that gave Tyler Donovan the upper-hand last year: experience. Junior Dustin Sherer, Evridge's top competition, has thrown three passes for no completions and an interception in his college career.  

Running Back 

It has been a long time since Wisconsin boasted a backfield as talented as this year's. Star junior running back P.J. Hill is one of the nation's most productive runners when healthy, and the presence of sophomore Zach Brown and junior Lance Smith ensures that an injury to Hill will not derail the Badger ground attack. While Hill was injured, Brown posted 450 yards and four touchdowns in four starts, and Smith averaged six yards per carry in 2007. Senior fullback Chris Pressley has not been much of a threat with the ball in his hands, but is very strong and one of the best blockers in the nation. Nfldraftscout.com has Pressley listed as the NCAA's second-best fullback prospect. 

Wide Receiver 

Receiver may be the team's weakest position, and certainly the most inexperienced. After sophomore Kyle Jefferson, who made 26 catches for 412 yards and 2 TDs in a solid true freshman campaign, the next most productive returning WR is junior Xavier Harris, who had two catches for 30 yards last year. Besides Jefferson, the team is placing its hopes in at least six athletic but unproven players, the most notable of which may be sophomore David Gilreath, an explosive kick and punt returner, and freshman Nick Toon, a prized recruit and son of former Badgers and New York Jets great Al Toon. You can bet the coaching staff would love to see Toon and Jefferson develop, as both have the size (6'3\ and 6'5"", respectively) and blazing speed to be both red zone and big-play threats. 

Tight End 

Along with running back and fullback, tight end is Wisconsin's strongest position, where they possess arguably the best tight-end tandem in the country. Senior Travis Beckum is one of the best players in the NCAA at any position and has nearly reached 1,000 yards receiving in each of the past two seasons. Junior Garrett Graham posted 328 yards and four touchdowns last year, which is extremely productive for a No. 2 tight end considering he was playing behind the top pass-catching TE in the nation. In a time of wide receiver uncertainty, Wisconsin is extremely fortunate to have these two players. 

Offensive Line 

Can anyone remember the last time Wisconsin didn't have a solid offensive line? The departure of All-Big Ten honorable mention Marcus Coleman leaves a void at the center position. Sophomore John Moffitt appears to be the heir apparent after fellow sophomore Brad Thorson was dismissed from the team. Manning rest of the positions are senior right guard and second-team All-Big Ten selection Kraig Urbik, with left tackle, left guard and right tackle being played by sophomore Gabe Carimi, senior Andy Kemp and senior Eric Vandenheuvel, respectively.