UW students weigh-in on campus security

UW-Madison students still question university security a year after the Virginia Tech massacre. 

UW-Madison sophomore Nathan Lee said it is hard to feel safer when violent acts can occur anywhere. 

Michael Ruskin, UW-Madison sophomore, said he thinks the university has done well in keeping students informed of dangerous situations on campus, like the gunman near UW Hospital in September 2007.  

Though Ruskin said he doubts an incident like the Virginia Tech shootings could be stopped if it happened here, he admitted it is not something he worries about.  

Things like that happen and its tragic and you hope it would never happen to you, but you don't always go to class thinking 'I hope this isn't going to happen today,'"" he said. 

Sarah Stankey, a freshman, also said she rarely thinks about the possibility of a campus shooting. 

UW-Madison sophomore Natalee Lales said she thinks campus shootings cannot necessarily be solved by adding more police officers, but communication between friends is essential in catching psychological problems that often drive shooters to attack others. 

""If you happen to know somebody who's having a hard time, to ignore it is, I think, the root of the problem,"" she said. ""Afterwards it's too late.""