Tournament next step for men's tennis

Tournament next step for men's tennis : Senior Nolan Polley and the No. 2 seed Badgers will play either No. 7 seed Minnesota or No. 10 seed Michigan State Friday in the Big Ten Tournament. Polley was named the Big Ten Athlete of the Week for his solid play against Iowa and Minnesota.

Tournament next step for men's tennis

The No. 34 UW men's tennis team is set to begin postseason play this Friday as it takes on the winner of No. 7 seed Minnesota and No. 10 seed Michigan State at the Big Ten Tournament in Iowa City, Iowa. 

I think the one thing about our team ... is the guys are really starting to come together and really enjoying each other and obviously winning helps that as well,"" coach Greg Van Emburgh said.  

""It's exciting to see the guys grow and continue to look for the challenges that are upon us."" 

The No. 2 seeded Badgers, have reeled off three straight dual match victories, including seven of their past eight, all conference victories. The team's eight Big Ten victories during regular season play were the most in UW history. The Badgers (8-2 Big Ten, 16-8 overall) also notched an 11-0 record at home, the first time the program has achieved perfection at Nielsen Tennis Stadium since 1991.  

Wisconsin swept both potential opponents in back-to-back matches to close the season. The Badgers defeated the Gophers (4-6, 6-16) 7-0 on April 13 in Madison, and cruised past the Spartans (1-9, 12-12) 7-0 last Sunday in East Lansing, Mich.  

""Either way it's going to be a dog fight because right now we're that No. 2 seed and hanging on our shoulders we have a big target on us,"" senior Jeremy Sonkin said. ""No matter who we play everybody's going to be gunning, playing their best tennis."" 

Senior Nolan Polley was named Big Ten Athlete of the Week for his performance against Iowa on April 12 and Minnesota the next day. The Lexington, Ky., native was 4-0 on the weekend in doubles and singles, including an 8-6 upset victory with sophomore Moritz Baumann at No. 1 doubles over the No. 40 duo of J.P. Ritchie and Bart von Monsjou of the Hawkeyes. 

Polley, currently ranked No. 109 in the nation, and freshman Marek Michalicka have been the Badgers' most consistent players during the spring season. Polley recorded a 9-1 mark in Big Ten dual matches and finished the regular season 17-4 overall. Michalicka has been equally dominant with an 8-2 conference record to go along with a stellar 20-2 mark since joining UW for the spring season. 

""I think the seniors have done a great job and, in all aspects in our lineup, the guys are really stepping up,"" Van Emburgh said. 

Even though their focus is on Michigan State and Minnesota, one team Badger players readily admit they'd like to play is Ohio State. The Buckeyes sit as the No. 1 seed in the tournament and the No. 2 team in the nation. Their lone loss came to No. 1 Virginia on Feb. 18, and they beat UW 6-1 on April 6 in Columbus. 

""We want to play Ohio State so bad, they've always been one of our big rivals,"" said Sonkin, who was out for the match with the flu. ""It would be the most amazing thing to finish out the Big Ten season."" 

Women's Tournament Preview 

The UW women's tennis team will face No. 60 Michigan State for the second consecutive time at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Big Ten Tournament in West Lafayette, Ind. 

The Badgers (2-8, 9-13) handed the Spartans a 5-2 loss last Sunday on Senior Day at Nielsen Tennis Stadium. It was UW's second-consecutive victory over a ranked Big Ten opponent. The Badgers also defeated then-No. 47 Iowa 6-1 on April 13 in Iowa City, Iowa. 

""I think if you're winning at the end of the season, it's a great indicator that you've made improvements along the way,"" UW coach Brian Fleishman said. ""You win early in the season and lose at the end, it really doesn't do anything for you. I think we have a lot of momentum going into the tournament, I think we have a lot of confidence going into the tournament. 

""It feels good to win,"" he added. ""All the hard work we've been putting into it, now the girls realize that it's paying off."" 

The team's two seniors, Chelsea Nusslock and Morgan Tuttle, had a winning hand in two doubles matches as well as a pair of singles contests on Sunday. Tuttle clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-3 win over MSU's Ally Wickman at No. 6 singles. 

For the tournament, the Badgers are seeded No. 11 while the Spartans will occupy the sixth spot. It is the second-straight year the Badgers will hold the No. 11 seed in the tournament. Last year, the Badgers were swept 4-0 in the first round by No. 6 seed Purdue. 

""We'll just practice hard [this week], I mean we practice as we play,"" Tuttle said. ""If we just keep that, and stay positive through adversity, we can hang in there."" 

Entering the tournament, Michigan State (3-7, 12-12) has lost four consecutive matches and six of its last eight. The Spartans' last win came on April 6, a 4-3 victory over Iowa in East Lansing, Mich. 

MSU senior Christine Bader, ranked No. 113 in the country, has knocked off two ranked opponents in five attempts in the spring season. UW junior Liz Carpenter dismantled Bader 6-4, 6-1 last Sunday at the No. 1 singles slot. 

The winner of Thursday's match will face No. 3 seed Indiana (8-2, 19-6) in the quarterfinals Friday. 

""It's another dual match for us, but I think for some of the kids it's good for them to look at it and say, 'Hey, this is our tournament experience right here, we might not make it to the NCAAs,'"" Fleishman said.