Spring brings back the Farmers' Market

Madison's Outdoor Farmers' Market, an important part of the city's history and a sure sign of spring, will open for business Saturday on the Capitol Square. 

Since opening in 1972, the Farmers' Market has grown to include about 300 vendors selling a wide variety of products, according to manager Larry Johnson. 

Typically, about 160 vendors come out on any given weekend,"" Johnson said. ""You can find fruit, plants, flowers, cheese, anything you can imagine."" A,A   

Johnson said only 100 vendors are expected to attend opening weekend due to the effects of the harsh winter and unusually cold spring on locally grown produce.  

He said this year's Farmers' Market aims to be as eco-friendly as possible by recycling bottles and cans and encouraging shoppers to bring cloth bags to carry their purchases. 

Johnson said UW-Madison students should use the Farmers' Market as a new way to purchase nutritious groceries in an exciting environment.  

""It's fun, it's great food and a good way to impress your parents by eating wholesome foods,"" Johnson said.A,A   

Jeff Rolling, chair of UW-Madison's Wisconsin Student Public Interest Research Group, said the Farmers' Market also gives students the opportunity to support the local economy.A,A A,A   

""The Farmers' Market gives so much to the Madison area. It's something iconic, sustainable, and is able to give you the assurance that your money is going to the right place, the right person,"" Rolling said. A,A A,A  

Craft vendors are also located along Capitol Square to further enhance the market experience. Carol Hambrecht is owner of one of the longest standing craft stands. She has sold canvas bags and T-shirts at the market since 1977. Hambrecht said the market gives vendors the chance to showcase their creative work. 

""I have about 20 designs or more, and they are all my original artwork, and I print them myself,"" Hambrecht said.A,A   

She said the experience of being a vendor at the Farmers' Market is especially rewarding because it is a great way to bring the country community into the city and is a wonderfully collaborative event. A,A   

The Farmers' Market will be open from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., rain or shine.