Secondary in transition for UW

Secondary in transition for UW: Senior Allen Langford will have to take a leadership role with the UW secondary when he returns from his ACL injury.

Secondary in transition for UW

While most of the country is focused on presidential primaries, the Badger football team is looking to its secondary to mesh after losing a litany of players to injuries, graduation and early departures.  

Last season the unit lost its second and third cornerbacks, sophomore Aaron Henry and senior Allen Langford respectively, to ACL tears. Those injuries have stopped them from playing in the spring but allowed some of the less experienced players like Mario Goins and Chris Maragos to get reps. 

I think right now it's an opportunity for them to show coaches that they can contend for playing time,"" Langford said. ""I think they're getting better every single day."" 

Head coach Bret Bielema echoed those sentiments saying that their progression was one benefit of the injuries to Henry and Langford. 

The defensive secondary is also adapting to life without shutdown corner Jack Ikegwuonu. Ikegwuonu declared for the draft after deflecting 15 passes and being named first-team All-Big Ten. 

Henry and Langford should be starting in the fall, but now the players are working on getting comfortable playing with one another and helping the younger players adjust to having more playing time. 

""You got a guy like Shane Carter, phenomenal athlete ... we've got some young corners who are really coming on strong,"" Maragos said. ""The guys have really been great, just kind of nurturing me through the process right now. And the coaching staff just working through me, just to get my assignments down and even when I'm messing up, just baring with me."" 

At safety, Wisconsin may make some changes because of the stellar play and hard hitting of sophomore safety Jay Valai. The Texas native has played with the first unit at strong safety for most of the spring and is excited to get more playing time next season. Valai's time with the top unit has come at the expense of junior incumbent Aubrey Pleasant. 

""The whole goal is to start, you know what I'm saying, make plays, just be out there,"" Valai said. ""You're going to play to win, not to lose."" 

Junior Shane Carter holds the other safety spot and is coming off a season in which he led the conference with seven interceptions.  

With 31 starts under his belt, Langford is the senior member of the secondary. He is now in a role that he saw others fill when he was a freshman. 

""I'm an old guy, I hate the feeling. I remember days when Jimmy Leonard and Scott Starks, those were the old guys and now I'm that guy,"" Langford said.  

""It's just a different approach now, different attitude I have now. I feel like I've grown up in this program so I just take it upon myself to do the best I can to help out younger players."" 

This spring, he has helped those players from the sidelines, watching their play and offering encouragement and advice. He is not dwelling on the injury that is keeping him out, but is instead mentally preparing himself and his teammates for next season.  

""Jack has moved on. I wish him all the best of luck, but right now I'm focused on what we can do this upcoming fall."" Langford said. ""Me and Aaron [Henry] have bonded right now too so that's been real good and just watching these young guys has been a blessing for me.""