Offensive line coming together

Kraig Urbik: Senior offensive lineman Kraig Urbik is the most experienced Wisconsin lineman having started 39 straight games at guard or tackle

Offensive line coming together

So far, the theme for spring practice has been the number of injuries the team has suffered. Injuries have plagued the defensive line, linebackers, defensive backs and others. One stable group, though, has been the offensive line, which has returned to full strength following injuries last fall.  

It's good because as offensive line the big thing is working as one unit,"" senior offensive lineman Eric Vanden Heuvel said following practice. ""Being able to coalesce as a unit, you get better teamwork out of it. It's real good that we know better how to work as a single unit."" 

Near the conclusion of last fall's loss at Ohio State, Vanden Heuvel suffered a leg injury that sidelined him for the remainder of the season. Not being able to play in key victories against Michigan and Minnesota was a thorn in the side of the 6'7"" senior. Spring ball, however, has granted him the opportunity to get back onto the field. 

""I got my senior season coming up, and I really want to be my best out of all these past three years,"" he said. ""I'm trying to do what I can to stay healthy and not lose any time."" 

With the graduation of center Marcus Coleman, the Badgers were in need of a player at that position. Sophomore John Moffitt has stepped in and performed well throughout the spring season.  

""I'm very excited. Even going back to what we saw out of him in bowl practice and also the addition of the shotgun,"" head coach Brett Bielema said. ""Quite honestly, the reason we didn't do the shotgun last year, it really didn't fit what we were able to do from a snap standpoint. This year, John's really been concentrating on that during the off-season with the quarterbacks and its something that we will be able to bring to the game."" 

One other change to the offensive line was a change in their position coach. After former coach Bob Palcic left the program, Bob Bostad was named the new offensive line coach. Now, with only three practices remaining before the annual spring game, players are getting used to the change and seeing some progression as a unit. 

""It's coming along good,"" senior offensive lineman Kraig Urbik, who went to high school with Vanden Heuvel, said. ""It's just knowing what we expect from each other, where the help is and all that stuff, so I think it is coming around pretty well."" 

Practice 10 Notes: 

The Wisconsin football team worked under the bright lights of the McClain Center Tuesday evening for its 10th practice of spring ball. It was their first night practice of the season, a switch from their previous 6:30 a.m. start time. Bielema claims the move was geared toward having a more spirited practice, and it was evident early that his wish has been granted.  

""It's been one of our better tempo practices,"" Bielema said. ""The way guys are flying around and being active, I think that is a positive mood, so we will probably stay with this format for the rest of spring ball."" 

Freshman defensive back Mario Goins, who has impressed during the majority of spring practice, left practice early due to injury.  

Junior college transfer Dan Moore was wearing a full brace on his left leg and walking around with the help of crutches.