Sunday, June 16, 2024
'Fat Boy' runs, can't avoid rom-com norms

fat boy : Simon Pegg and Michael Ian Black return to the genre mockery scene with ,Run, Fat Boy, Run."" Although the film stays afloat for awhile thanks to Pegg's comedic timing and scattered visual humor, ,""Fat Boy"" eventually becomes the butt of its own joke, slipping into romantic comedy clichA?Acs.

The rom-com parody Run, Fatboy, Run"" may slip into the very clichés it should be mocking, but it manages to keep moving forward on the legs of the filthy script penned by Simon Pegg and Michael Ian Black.  

The film follows Pegg as Dennis, a commitophobe who leaves his pregnant fiancée at the altar following a prenuptial panic attack. Five years later, Dennis leads a miserable existence, renting out a basement and working as a security guard for a lady's underwear boutique.  

Meanwhile, the mother of his child, Libby (Thandie Newman), is getting cozy with Whit (Hank Azaria), the classic rich-and-buff rival that ends up being a complete asshole. When Whit brags about a marathon he plans to run, the pudgy Dennis signs up as well to prove to Libby he can commit to something and finish it. 

Pegg and Black stay inside the lines as far as romantic comedy concepts go, but they color the dialogue in between clichés with a lovely tone of crudity and filth.  

For a PG-13 film, the script is packed with off-color sexual references and unsavory characters that seem to belong in an R-rated effort. The visual jokes, likewise, hold little back, like when Dennis' gambling addict friend, Gordon (Dylan Moran, ""Shaun of the Dead""), pops one of Dennis' blisters, squirting whitish puss in his eye. Dennis mumbles, ""I'm sorry, that's never happened before."" The pair seems to write themselves around the censors, and the audience benefits. 

The problem comes when it's time for the mushy segments. Like all of Pegg's films, this one turns from a parody to a member of the genre being parodied. However, while ""Shaun of the Dead"" and ""Hot Fuzz"" successfully became straight zombie and action flicks, ""Run Fatboy, Run"" doesn't fare as well in this transition, mostly because this audience doesn't necessarily want a straight romantic comedy.  

Last-minute character transformations are necessary for films like this to work. Azaria's good-guy rival suddenly becomes a bastard, the cruel landlord suddenly takes a shine to Dennis to help him win back Libby and Libby suddenly decides she's in love with Dennis again. It's all very heartwarming, unbelievable and ripe for parody, though Pegg and Black don't capitalize on it enough. 

The mush is only viable on the strength of the characters crafted by Pegg, Moran and Azaria, who bring their ensemble talent together and create a palpable energy on screen. Much of this may be due to David Schwimmer, who makes his surprising debut in the director's chair and seems to have rallied the cast around the idea that the whole film has a layer of filth bubbling under the surface, waiting to pop out at any moment.  

The film is a well-executed entry into the romantic comedy field, even if a familiar one at times. Laughs abound, and the characters are both lovable and identifiable, making for a perfect date flick.