A year of trials on the ice

Blake Geoffrion: Sophomore forward Blake Geoffrion had six points in an early sweep of Robert Morris.

A year of trials on the ice

The 2007-'08 Wisconsin men's hockey season was one of great promise. With nine freshmen joining the team, and 18 of the 27 players underclassmen, there was no doubt the Badgers were talented. The only question was how the team would develop chemistry and compete in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, arguably one of the top conferences in the country.  

As a result, the Badgers had an up-and-down season. The team made huge strides on the road in the second half of the season, including a five-game unbeaten streak. After a lackluster finish in which UW lost its last three conference games, the Badgers were given a second life in the NCAA Tournament. A 6-2 victory over the No. 2 seed Denver Pioneers silenced many critics, but a 3-2 loss to No. 1 seed North Dakota ended the Badgers' season.  

Here are a few key moments, both high and low, that helped define Wisconsin's 16-17-7 season.  

A heck of an opening 

After going 1-1 at the Lefty McFadden Invite in Dayton, OH., Wisconsin returned to the friendly confines of the Kohl Center for its opening weekend Oct. 19 and 20 against the Robert Morris Colonials. The Badgers soundly defeated Robert Morris 7-2 and 8-2, behind freshman forward Kyle Turris and sophomore forward Blake Geoffrion.  

Turris led the way with three goals and five assists, while Geoffrion scored two goals and tallied four assists. The Kohl Center was jumping, as head coach Mike Eaves' new philosophy of fire-wagon hockey"" seemed to catch fire throughout the crowd.  

Saturday nights alright for fighting 

Nov 10 at the Kohl Center is a date that will live on in history for many Crease Creatures, as the Fighting Sioux of North Dakota earned their nickname. After losing 4-0 in the series opener Friday, North Dakota came out Saturday with a personal vendetta.  

The result was 172 penalty minutes between the teams, with the climax coming late in the third period, when 10 players - five from each team - were ejected. North Dakota won 3-1, but the hostility did not end there.  

Eaves and Fighting Sioux head coach Dave Hakstol exchanged some heated words after the game and had to be restrained by their assistant coaches.  

Although the series ended in a split, there is no doubt that Badger fans will remember the altercation for years to come.  

On cloud nine 

The Badgers made their only sweep of the season on Nov. 30 through Dec. 1 against St. Cloud State, beating the Huskies 3-2 and 4-3. The main story of the sweep was Wisconsin's ability to come back from a deficit. Including the sweep - the Badgers rallied from one-goal deficits both nights - Wisconsin had staged a comeback in five of its previous six contests and six of the last nine.  

The highlight of the weekend came in Friday's victory, when junior forward Ben Street deflected a pass in mid-air from Turris to score the winning goal. 

Throughout the season, Street proved he had a knack for game-winning goals, scoring four throughout the year.  

After no review of the play... 

The Badgers traveled to Denver January 11 and 12, and the controversy ran high. Senior forward Matthew Ford scored what seemed to be the game-tying goal in Friday's 3-2 loss as time expired.  

However, head official Randy Schmidt called off the goal without actually watching the instant replay, as the system wasn't working properly. Schmidt called for a still-shot of the crease at 0.0 on the clock, and saw the puck was not in the net.  

Schmidt did not take into account the fact that the puck had gone into the net and bounced back out and was on its way out at 0.0. The WCHA acknowledged the mistake but would not award Wisconsin a point for Schmidt's poor officiating.  

Wisconsin went on to win the second game 7-2 with a little added incentive from Friday's debacle.  

Proving their worth 

NCAA tournament bound, the Badgers had to deal with critics and media stating that with their below .500 record, they didn't belong. But Wisconsin proved the critics wrong, soundly defeating higher seeded Denver 6-2 Saturday night.  

Sophomore forward Michael Davies stole the show, scoring two goals - including one on a breakaway - and one assist in the victory.  

Sophomore forward John Mitchell also scored on a breakaway, as the Kohl Center - while donning the blue colors of the NCAA - was definitely a home atmosphere for the Badgers.  

Unfortunately, the Badgers would be unable to hold a 2-0 lead the following night against North Dakota.  

Moving on 

Monday was the first day of the Wisconsin men's hockey team's offseason, and already it had to say goodbye to one of its players. Westminster, B.C., native Kyle Turris signed with the Phoenix Coyotes, bypassing his final three seasons of college eligibility.  

Turris, the No. 3 pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, will play Thursday for the Phoenix Coyotes against the Dallas Stars. Turris led Wisconsin with 35 points this season.