Women's report card

As the Wisconsin women's basketball team's regular season nears its end, it comes time to hand out some grades for their season.  

Offense 

The Badgers looked to push the tempo and run on offense this season, a strategy that made them the highest scoring Big Ten team in conference play. They were in the top four in conference for both 3-point and free-throw shooting. 

They also boasted the Big Ten's top scorer in senior guard Jolene Anderson, who scores over 20 points per game.  

Wisconsin is second in the Big Ten in assists and first in offensive rebounding. 

Grade: A 

Defense 

The down side of running a high-tempo game is that defense usually suffers. Wisconsin ranked last in points allowed in conference and has given up 65 or more points on 13 occasions.  

Many of these troubles stem from allowing opponents to convert over 36 percent of their 3-point shots, ranking last in the Big Ten. Overall, they have a number of good individual defensive players and senior forward Danielle Ward anchoring the middle, but it has not translated to defensive success.  

Wisconsin does, however, excel in big defensive plays that help produce offense. They are second in the Big Ten in steals and blocks.  

Grade: C 

Coaching  

This season began with high expectations but the team was unable to meet them all. Some of the burden must be carried by Lisa Stone and her staff. 

The Badgers are third in the conference in scoring differential, usually a good predictor of success, yet they sit in the standings. This shows they have trouble in close games, another factor that coaches need to address.  

While these are blemishes, Stone has rallied her team from a 1-6 start to the conference season to go 7-2 in their last nine contests.  

She challenges on defense, challenges on offense or challenges individuals to step out to the plate and get the job done,"" senior guard Janese Banks said.  

Grade: C- 

Senior leadership 

Anderson and Banks both posses leadership qualities; Banks being a vocal leader and Anderson leading by example. Ward has been the team's most consistent post defender, and Ivana Mijalcevic has provided enthusiastic support for all her teammates.  

""They always help you, they are always nice, they always are giving advice to you,"" freshman forward Lin Zastrow said. ""It's just a great feeling to have someone there who's looking out for your back but also that you can ask questions to."" 

Grade: A- 

Starting five  

This unit has been stable at four positions and had the top four scorers and three rebounders on the team. The fourth spot has been shared by Mariah Dunham, Tara Steinbauer and Teah Gant, who each provided different looks.  

Banks and Anderson both play more than 33 minutes per game and have been court staples. The consistency provided by Ward and sophomore guard Rea Lin D'Alie has been beneficial, but the fourth spot has been less than even. 

Grade: B 

Bench 

Wisconsin has had a nine or 10 player rotation this season and been able to get good play from D'Alie and freshman guard Alyssa Karel at the point guard position. Gant provides tough defense and can slash to the basket. 

""Teams can't just try to defend one or two players, they have to worry about trying to stop everybody, so I think that gives us an advantage,"" Banks said. ""Our bench production has been huge in our wins."" 

Zastrow said Ward brings a high level of skill to the forward position. Dunham is a capable inside-outside scoring threat.  

Grade: B- 

Freshmen 

Steinbauer, Zastrow and Karel have all delivered in their first season. They play a combined 50 minutes per game and each score more than 4.4 points per game.  

Steinbauer has started 13 games and given Lisa Stone a gritty physical defensive presence. However, the freshman has not stepped up into a truly prominent scoring role.  

""[The freshmen] have had a huge impact just with their energy that they bring on and off the court. It has just been a great benefit to our team,"" Dunham said. ""How they can just go out there and play their game like they do, it has just been amazing to watch them grow."" 

Grade: B+ 

Returning players 

The Badgers returned every player from last season, although very few have taken substantial steps forward. Anderson and Banks were their stellar selves, but Dunham failed to meet last season's expectations.  

Dunham's scoring dropped from eight to under four points per game and she fell out of the starting lineup in the middle of the season. Senior center Catlin Gibson has seen her role decrease, going from 18 minutes per game in 2006-'07 to four in this year's campaign.  

Grade: C+