Oxford biologist touts evidence behind beliefs

Richard Dawkins: Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist and author of ,The God Delusion,"" spoke to a sold-out crowd at the Memorial Union Tuesday.

In front of a sold-out crowd at the Wisconsin Union Theater Tuesday, Oxford University evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins attacked religion and encouraged the public to turn to science as an explanation for the complexities of the world. 

Dawkins urged the audience to raise their awareness of natural selection - the theory that life evolved with increasing sophistication according to that most fit survival.  

Since the 1960s, Dawkins has stood as a controversial figure, advancing scientists' understanding of evolution and, more recently, fueling the contentious debate between science and religion. 

Dawkins' lecture was part of his Campus God Delusion Tour,"" named in honor of his most recent book ""The God Delusion,"" which posits science as an alternative to religion at campuses across the country.  

""I want [the campus tour] to convey the idea that religion is an illusion,"" Dawkins said.  

""I also care passionately about the truth and the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is a scientific matter."" 

Instead of belief in an intelligent being that has the ability to create complexity in ""one swoop"" Dawkins explained, ""[Natural selection] starts from simple beginnings and works up by gradual degrees.""  

Dawkins said it is these small increments that continue to bescientifically proven.  

Although Dawkins said there is no proof religion itself is biologically advantageous, it is possible religion is a byproduct from the evolutionary necessity for humans to obey authority as small children.  

""There's a reason why they teach religion to children,"" said audience member Matthew Mitro, of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. ""Children listen to adults and are more susceptible to the beliefs [at a young age].""  

Dawkins advised students to gauge the evidence behind their beliefs. 

""How do you know what you believe is true? Authority? Revelation?"" Dawkins said. ""If it's any of those things, forget it. Always go for evidence."" 

Dawkins' lecture was part of UW-Madison's Distinguished Lecture Series, meant to bring prominent figures to speak on behalf of controversial subjects. 

""Richard Dawkins is really important in the discourse to campus,"" said Aaron McKean, DLS director. ""He's not only huge in terms of the sciences and evolutionary biology but also big in terms of religion and philosophy, so he appeals across disciplines.