MARCHING TO MOTOWN: Beasley no match for Badgers, UW to face Davidson in Sweet 16

Michael Flowers: Senior guard Michael Flowers added 15 points as UW won 72-55 to advance to the Sweet 16.

OMAHA, Neb. - Freshmen forwards Michael Beasley and Bill Walker might be playing in the NBA next season, but the No. 3-seed Wisconsin Badgers taught the two young stars and the rest of the Kansas State Wildcats a lesson in team defense as UW defeated KSU 72-55 Saturday afternoon at the Qwest Center. 

The win advanced the Badgers (31-4) to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2005 and also broke a school record for most victories in a season. 

Several pundits in the national media predicted the No. 11-seed Wildcats (21-12) would upset Wisconsin, but the Badgers held Kansas State to its lowest scoring output of the season.  

All year a lot of people didn't think highly of us and our talent and potential,"" senior guard Michael Flowers said. ""We tried to tune out the media and outside distractions and stay focused and disciplined to our team rules."" 

The ""team rules"" put the Wildcats' backcourt in a vice, forcing KSU to rely almost entirely on Walker and Beasley.  

Walker scored 18 points, and Beasley led Kansas State with 23. But the probable NBA Lottery pick only made two field goals in the second half. Wisconsin's stingy perimeter defense did not allow the Wildcats to make a single 3-pointer for the first time in 348 games. KSU shot 0-for-13 from beyond the arc. 

""I can't think of too many jump shots we made period,"" Kansas State head coach Frank Martin said. ""And that's not the team you want to play on a night you don't make jump shots."" 

The Wildcats scored 53 of their 55 points in the paint or at the free throw line. Guards Blake Young, Clent Stewart and Jacob Pullen - who had combined for 17 points and 10 assists in Kansas State's 80-67 victory over USC Thursday - scored a total of eight points and only recorded three assists against the Badgers.  

""They really packed the lane,"" Stewart said. ""It worked today because we didn't knock down the shots."" 

Although the UW defense frustrated KSU, the Badgers' ability to penetrate the lane and their efficiency from behind the 3-point line propelled them on a pivotal 10-0 run that stretched from the first half into the second. 

After a dunk by Beasley made the score 36-33 with 1:05 remaining in the first half, Flowers made one dribble toward the basket before rising up and swishing a 3-pointer from the right side of the key. 

When play resumed in the second half, senior forward Brian Butch tapped in his own missed shot to give Wisconsin a 41-33 lead. On the next UW possession, sophomore guard Trevon Hughes blew by his defender and put up a one-handed underhand shot while drawing a foul on KSU freshman forward Dominique Sutton. The shot fell through the net and Hughes made the free- 

throw.  

Minutes later, Hughes drained a fade-away jump shot from the left wing with a defender's hand in his face. The basket gave Wisconsin a 46-33 advantage with 16:34 left to play. The stretch seemed to deflate the Wildcats, who fell further and further behind as the half continued. 

""Here's the thing with Wisconsin: If you're down 10 to them, it's the equal of being down 25 to somebody else,"" Martin said. 

Hughes and Flowers guided the Badger offense throughout the game. The two guards repeatedly penetrated into the lane, creating shots for themselves, open looks for teammates on the perimeter or easy baskets for Butch and senior center Greg Stiemsma.  

In the first half alone, Flowers and Hughes each had three assists, which helped Wisconsin build a 32-22 advantage. 

The Badgers also made seven of their 15 first-half 3-point attempts. 

Hughes tied a career high with 25 points, while Flowers stuffed the stat sheet with 15 points, five rebounds, five assists and a steal. Stiemsma scored 14 points and grabbed seven rebounds in only 14 minutes of playing time. 

Wisconsin will face No. 10-seed Davidson in Detroit Friday.