'High school atmosphere' provides setting for UW victory

EVANSTON, Ill. - Although Wisconsin probably would have liked to claim the Big Ten title outright in front of a home crowd at the Kohl Center, the wooden bleachers, cramped quarters and large number of Wisconsin fans at Welsh-Ryan Arena provided a unique setting for the 65-52 win and ensuing victory celebration.  

It was really special,"" senior guard Jason Bohannon said. ""When we walked on the floor we were all smiling ear-to-ear because we had so much red here. It was like a home game for us. It just shows how good Badger fans are to us."" 

At least two-thirds of the crowd was dressed in red. 

The fans at Welsh-Ryan sit so close to the floor that players can hear even individual jibes from the stands. 

During an NU offensive possession in the second half, one Badger fan dressed in red and white suspenders mockingly asked Northwestern junior guard Craig Moore if the Wildcats were going to get 40 points. 

After NU made a shot, Moore yelled back, ""Looks like it!""  

""It's a fun place to play in,"" Bohannon said. ""It's kind of like a high school atmosphere again. Everyone's close to the floor and it's loud. It's just really fun to be a part of."" 

More than a half hour after the Badgers defeated the Wildcats, head coach Bo Ryan's press conference in an auxiliary gym was interrupted when cheers echoed throughout the arena. As the Badger players walked out of the locker rooms and back out onto the court, they were greeted by a small gathering of cardinal-clad fans who did not want to go home. 

Some of the remaining UW faithful were friends and family members, but others were kids hoping for mementos from the Big Ten champs. 

Seniors Brian Butch and Greg Stiemsma signed autographs and posed for pictures while sophomore guard Trevon Hughes chatted with fans. 

Butch dominates 

When Butch walked onto the court Saturday afternoon it was clear he was the tallest player on the floor. When he jogged off, emphatically pumping his right fist in the air, it was obvious to the 8,117 fans in attendance that he was also the best player on the court.  

Butch scored a game-high 20 points and tied a career high with 14 rebounds.  

The senior from Appleton, Wis., consistently found holes around the basket in the Wildcats' 1-3-1 zone defense, and with Butch pulling down rebounds, NU managed only five second-chance points and seven offensive boards. 

Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said Butch's height advantage did not guarantee his success against the Wildcats. 

""There are big guys who can't get that against small teams,"" Ryan said. ""It's not that easy."" 

Butch has not always produced stellar numbers while playing at Welsh-Ryan. Last year, he scored nine points and in 2005 managed only two points in 28 minutes. 

Despite his impressive game, Butch said he was only focused on winning the next game. 

""It's nice to have numbers,"" Butch said. ""But when it comes down to it ... it's about winning. It's about having a championship.