Great Lakes bill stalls in Assembly

Disagreements remained in the state Assembly over the Great Lakes Water Resources Compact Monday, leaving the bill unlikely to be passed this week. 

The Assembly Committee on Natural Resources held a hearing on the GLC Monday, which would prohibit the transfer of Great Lakes water to other states.  

Natural Resources Committee member state Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said there was a lot of support at the hearing from environmental groups and communities located near the Great Lakes.  

Parts of the southeast and southwest United States struggle with severe water shortages and want to transfer water from the Great Lakes, Black said. 

It's very important for the long term interest of the state of Wisconsin and for the environment not to allow this to happen,"" Black said in a statement. 

The eight Great Lakes states and two Canadian provinces involved in the bill are required to agree on the same version for it to be sent to Congress, according to state Rep. Gary Hebl, D-Sun Prairie. 

Significant changes in the GLC, according to Hebl, would require the bill to be reviewed by all eight states again.  

The GLC has passed in the state Senate but not the Assembly, with the regular legislative session ending Thursday. 

Nature Conservancy spokesperson Casey Eggleston said it is unlikely the bill would reach a vote in the full Assembly by Thursday.  

George Meyer, executive director of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation and supporter of the bill, attended the hearing Monday. He said the committee chair was not going to hold a vote by Thursday. 

The committee chair expects a special session later this year, which might allow passage of the bill, Meyer said.  

Assembly Speaker Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem, said in a statement he favored a change in the GLC that would allow the majority of Great Lakes states to veto any water projects, instead of allowing a single state to do so. 

Huebsch also said restrictions on groundwater use need to be changed in the bill.