Genghis Tron conquer on 'Board Up the House'

Creating the musical embodiment of ruthless, continental conquest is a goal too lofty for most, but Genghis Tron's brand of caustic, electronic metal is an enormity of imperial proportions.  

The Philadelphia-based three-piece has successfully combined seemingly incompatible genres of synth and grindcore, making for a truly odd sound that is simultaneously hypnotizing and terrifying. The band was identified as a key agent in the extreme music sphere with the 2006 release Dead Mountain Mouth, but their newest release and Relapse Records debut, Board Up the House, will make them truly memorable. Board Up the House is a behemoth guaranteed to be the 2008 release most likely to make your head explode. 

Genghis Tron's previous releases were good, but their sound has clearly been perfected on this album. By using catchy and soothing electronics alongside manic vocals and fierce instrumentation, the band makes a sound that's like a crazed blend of Ratatat, Converge and Agoraphobic Nosebleed. The results are staggering. 

The title track starts the album with a creeping bass pulse preceding a trance-inducing synth line that provides the listener a false sense of safety. After a minute, the verse breaks in as rabid shrieks from vocalist Mookie Singerman accompany scathing guitar riffs and riotous drumming. The production, engineered by Converge's Kurt Ballou, is superb and makes Singerman's vocals more impactful than on past releases.  

City on a Hill"" switches between piercing vocals, pummeling instrumentation and spazzy electronics for a couple minutes before dissolving into a tranquil and hypnotizing soundscape that would seem relaxing and harmless to even the softest of listeners. The number of changes in timing and tone in this track demonstrate Genghis Tron's remarkable versatility and punctuation. 

The problem with reviewing this album is that any description is an injustice to it. Certain things are beyond words, and this album is probably one of them. What can be said is it definitely is one of the best things anyone will hear this year. While the band's abrasive nature will cause it to be ignored by mainstream listeners, this album is something that you need to hear if you consider yourself a fan of innovative music.