Farewell seniors, hello Lions

stiemsma: Senior center Greg Stiemsma will say goodbye to the friendly confines of the Kohl Center tonight against Penn State.

Farewell seniors, hello Lions

The No. 10 Wisconsin men's basketball team will try to send its seniors off happy with a win Wednesday against the Penn State Nittany Lions (6-10 Big Ten, 14-14 overall). It is senior night at the Kohl Center and Wisconsin's final home game of the season. 

The Badgers (14-2, 24-4) continue to play some of their strongest basketball of the season, with five straight wins and the Big Ten title within its reach if they manage to win their last two contests versus Penn State and at Northwestern. 

Meanwhile, Penn State has gone through a difficult stretch after its solid 10-4 start. The Lions have gone 4-10 since and currently find themselves in seventh-place in the Big Ten standings. However, Penn State enters the game hot with two consecutive wins at home, 65-64 over Iowa and 69-61 over Michigan. 

In Wisconsin and Penn State's last matchup in University Park, the Badgers cruised for an 80-55 victory. The Nittany Lions were out-rebounded 39-21 and shot just 37 percent from the field compared to Wisconsin's 60 percent. Senior guard Michael Flowers had a career day for the Badgers with 23 points, six rebounds and five assists. 

Penn State suffered a major setback in this contest, as senior swingman Geary Claxton left the game early in the first half after sustaining a major knee injury. The Nittany Lions found out a day later that they had lost Claxton for the season, previously their leading scorer and rebounder with 18 points and eight rebounds per contest. 

At Monday's press conference, Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan acknowledged Penn State's difficulties in losing Claxton, but also noted their other talented weapons, particularly junior forward Jamelle Cornley, the Lions' current leading scorer and rebounder with 12 and six respectively. 

When you're missing somebody like him, it does affect what you're doing, but [Penn State has] some strengths,"" Ryan said. ""Cornley is a very tough matchup."" 

Both Wisconsin and Penn State are not particularly intimidating offensively, with their scoring offenses ranking just fifth and eighth respectively in the Big Ten. However, Wisconsin's defensive edge could once again be the difference, as the Badgers have given up just 55 points per game as opposed to the Lion's mediocre scoring-defense, which has surrendered almost 70 points per contest. 

The game will be an emotional one for Wisconsin's seniors, as four players - Tanner Bronson, Brian Butch, Michael Flowers and Greg Stiemsma - will suit up for their final game at the Kohl Center. Ryan is impressed with what this group has been able to accomplish together and feels they all have the potential to achieve a lot more. 

""If they can just keep the ideals that made them who they are right now, continue to do what they're doing, they'll leave here with a very positive feeling about what they've been a part of,"" Ryan said. ""I think they've been a part of something pretty special, and it's early yet."" 

Wednesday night's tipoff in Madison is set for 8 p.m. and will be televised on the Big Ten Network. Wisconsin's seniors will be honored in a 20-minute pre-game ceremony and a video presentation immediately after the game.