DANE COUNTY BOARD: Manning, O'Hagan prep for Tuesday election

Wyndham Manning 

What in your background makes you qualified for the Dane County Board? 

I have extensive hands on experience in the community. In addition to being active on campus, I've worked on community supported agriculture farms, visited and studied several municipal waste, sewage treatment and power plants, and I am an avid biker that, when not commuting by bike, relies heavily on public transportation. 

I have a unique, proven, brand of leadership experience. As a past director of the WUD Music Committee, I effectively chaired a committee of nearly 50 active members, all with dissenting views on the nature of our programming as well as their own individual preferences and biases. I was able to balance this, negotiate when needed, and most importantly, build and foster meaningful relationships through collaboration between members, other student organizations, campus entities, and local businesses. All of this while understanding the realities of budget limitations and being creative with the challenges that come with addressing them. All of these skills are vital to the success of a Supervisor on the Dane County Board. 

What first made you decide to run for the position? How did you hear about the open position? 

I've always enjoyed community organizing, and had an interest in addressing issues that were important to me that I expressed through arts activism in projects like the Madison Pop Festival and the Madison Made Music Project. I never took it further because I don't enjoy getting caught up in the politics of politics, but decided that I could offer a fresh, creative perspective to institutionalized systems the way I had to these projects in the past. I've always followed campus and local politics closely, just because I enjoy knowing what was going on, but until now, I never expected to get involved at this level. But I enjoy new challenges and felt a genuine desire to give back to the community that has given me so much these past four years. 

Briefly explain what you see as the most pressing issues facing District 5. 

As the (mostly) student district, ours is seen as artificially isolated from the rest of the county. I believe this holds us back from exploring our neighboring communities and encourages students to look at jobs outside of Dane county after they graduate. Providing students with the means to explore while they are on campus and encouraging graduating students to stay in Dane County and take greater advantage of the many professional opportunities right outside of our school's borders would have a great impact on not only students, but the communities which they will hopefully come to be a part of. 

As District 5 supervisor, how do you plan to deal with the issues/ what are some of your plans if you win? 

I plan to work heavily with both student groups and individual students on issues that are important to them. I plan to bring what resources I will have as Supervisor to the table with them and collaborate on innovative solutions. Some of my main priorities are addressing homelessness and increasing affordable housing, addressing the disturbingly high levels of domestic abuse, ensuring a fair and efficient judicial system, cleaning up our lakes and watersheds, and sustaining our green spaces. 

What distinguishes you from the other candidate? 

My background in the arts has instilled with me, above all else, the ability to think abstractly and to turn that into a workable paradigm by which I lead. I'm not afraid to take calculated risks or fail, because I understand that as the only way to achieve success and measure true progress. This continual process of learning and openness to change helps me negotiate in ways that measure the basic values at play without compromising my own judgment, encouraging creative solutions to common problems and a continual desire to learn. 

What do you like about the other candidate? 

He's ambitious. 

Why should students in particular vote for you? 

Because I know not only what the most important issues facing our county are, but how to deal with them effectively. I understand that students are an important part of Dane County, but that our role is as a part of that whole. I have the experience in the community necessary to be able to apply that knowledge holistically and a passion for progress. 

What is your favorite burger restaurant in Madison? 

Chipotle 

What is your favorite library to study at? 

Espresso Royale 

------------------------------------------ 

Conor O'Hagan 

I believe that I can a have positive impact on the lives of the people in Dane County if I am elected Dane County Supervisor for the 5th district. I am a former high school representative to the Appleton (WI) Area School Board. I participated in Youth in Government for four years. I was also a Wisconsin Representative to the Conference of National Affairs for three years. 

It is time for the students of the 5th District to be represented on the County Board. County government has a major impact on the daily lives of students yet very few realize this, paving the way for the student interests to be ignored by the County. I have always been dedicated to improving my community through service and this is the perfect opportunity for me to act on making these student voices heard. It is my intention for the constituents of the 5th District to have a major impact on the future of this county.  

I first heard about the open position from my Treasurer Scott Resnick. 

The necessity to continue improving safety of University Students is the single most important issue. Great strides have been made to improve safety when students are at their homes. However, the safety of students arriving at their destination is a huge question mark. Muggings, sexual assaults, and robberies are still a persistent problem in the 5th District. Therefore, in addition to giving Dane County law enforcement agencies the tools they need to fight crime, it is time for the County to strongly consider funding a night time carpooling program, which will allow students to use the program after studying or working late and lead to a safer district. 

As District 5 supervisor, how do you plan to deal with the issues? What are some of your plans if you win? 

Implement a night time carpool system for residents who work second and third shift jobs and for students who study late. Begin the process of cleaning up our lakes from the inside, not just blocking pollutant flow from the outside. Start a new economic development policy of Building Up, Not Out in an attempt to minimize our urban footprint. Return lost funding to the Rape Crisis Center, add additional funding to the Women's Campus Center and Women's Transit Authority. Create new youth programs that focus on providing youth with an avenue towards a successful and bright future, and cutting down on youth crime and future crime. 

I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin and I am going to be on campus the entirety of my term. I will be studying with my fellow students, going to class with them, and will be around the entire day for my constituents to interact with me. I have been involved with government and community service since 9th grade. This is where my passion lies, representing citizens to improve their daily lives. Being only a freshman allows me the opportunity to better understand and relate to students because of my age. I have been serious about running since day one. 

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Manning's proposal of using an arts initiative to keep youth out of trouble. 

I am running for this position from a new perspective, bringing a business mentality to the table with the ability to end the precedent of political science majors holding this post. I also bring passion, an eagerness to ask questions, find answers and work to implement previously unthought-of resolutions. I stand for Solutions for Progress because I can provide consistency and longevity, something this district desperately needs on the county board. 

I would have to say Angelic Brewing, everything else a distant second place.  

College Library because of the people you run into, the new individuals you meet and the atmosphere that makes the experience memorable.