Badgers capture tournament crown

Indianapolis, Ind. - For the first time in the 11 year history of the Big Ten Tournament, the Wisconsin Badgers have won both the regular season and tournament titles. The Badgers seemed on the brink of defeat on Saturday, but rallied to emerge victorious over Michigan State to advance to the tournament final. The Badgers capped the impressive run by defeating Illinois 61-48.  

The Badgers had a welcome surprise as starting point guard Trevon Hughes came back from an ankle injury to log 27 minutes in Sunday's championship game. His teammates welcomed him back and acknowledged his contributions.  

\Anytime you witness a player go down, your first thought is, 'I hope he's OK. I hope he's not going to be hurt,' and to see him come back and play today and to contribute the way he did was tremendous,"" senior guard Michael Flowers said. 

During the trophy ceremony, two Badgers were recognized for their outstanding efforts. Both Flowers and Marcus Landry joined Michigan State guard Drew Neitzel, Illinois guard Demetri McCamey, and Illinois center Shaun Pruitt on the all-tournament team. In addition, Marcus Landry was named most outstanding player.  

""I was just going out there playing basketball'¦I really focused on doing what it took for us to win the game more than anything,"" Landry said. 

Wisconsin will have to put the victory behind them as the NCAA Tournament begins Thursday in Omaha, Neb., where the Badgers learned they will be facing the Cal-State Fullerton Titans, winners of the Big West Conference, in the Midwest region. The game is scheduled for an 8:40 tip-off.  

Other notable teams in the Midwest region include top-seed Kansas, second-seeded Georgetown and two potential second round matchups for the Badgers with top flight freshmen in USC and Kansas State. If the Badgers emerge from their first two games victorious, they will move on to play their ""Sweet 16"" matchup in Detroit. 

--Adam Hoge contributed to this report.