Wisconsin battles Minnesota for position in WCHA

knight: Freshman forward Hilary Knight heads to Minnesota for the first time since being named to the U.S. Championship preliminary team.

After five months of hockey, its almost fitting that the Wisconsin women's hockey team ends its regular season with a series full of meaning against the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Second place is at stake in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, playoff seeding and the usual pride that epitomizes this border rivalry.  

Wisconsin is three points behind the Gophers in the WCHA standings, meaning that a weekend sweep would give Wisconsin a one-point lead and bring North Dakota to the Kohl Center next weekend for the first round of the WCHA Tournament. If Minnesota ties or wins one of the games, then the Badgers will host either Minnesota State or Ohio State. 

The only thing we're guaranteed right now is the next 10 days,"" head coach Mark Johnson said. ""It all comes down to what's going to transpire in the next couple of weekends as far as determining where we're actually going [to] fit into the [postseason] equation if we do fit into it at all."" 

Minnesota enters the series with the second-ranked offense in the WCHA, scoring 3.58 goals per game. They are led by the forward trio of junior Gigi Marvin and seniors Erica McKenzie and Bobbi Ross, who have combined for 61 assists and 57 goals.  

""We always focus on Gigi Marvin and [McKenzie]. They both have this little toe drag they both try to do,"" junior defender Rachel Bible said. ""Basically once they get their speed up, it's hard to stop them so we have to keep the puck away from them, get on them right away and move the puck."" 

Wisconsin has won its last seven games in Minnesota against the Gophers. However, the Badgers split against the Gophers in Madison earlier this season. 

The pinnacle moment of the Badger-Gopher rivalry came in 2006 when Wisconsin won its first national title, beating the Gophers 3-0 in Minneapolis. Before that game last season, the Gophers had won two consecutive national titles but failed to qualify for the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2001. Wisconsin played a part by beating the Gophers 4-1 in last season's WCHA title game, denying Minnesota the conference's automatic tournament berth. 

However, for some of the younger Badgers this rivalry has been slightly foreign. 

""It's really interesting. I didn't know it was such a huge rivalry,"" freshman defender and California native Olivia Jakiel said. ""I know that Minnesota has a good team, Wisconsin has a good team, but I didn't know it was so competitive and it's just really fun to be a part of."" 

Others like Bible, who is from the Madison area, reviled the teams from Minneapolis.  

""Before I became a Badger, obviously I loved watching the Badgers play the Gophers because it's always nice to see them get beat,"" Bible said. ""I hate the Gophers, a lot"" 

Senior forward Jinelle Zaugg scored two goals in the 2006 title game against Minnesota and is closing in on two UW records. She will eclipse the games played record over the weekend, currently held by Sara Bauer, and has 80 career goals - four fewer than the school record.  

""Honestly I try not to think about it. I told myself I wouldn't look about stats because if that gets in your head you tend to think about that more than thinking about playing your best hockey and [in] your team's best interest,"" Zaugg said. ""In my case, I'm just trying to help my team come to another NCAA championship whether it's scoring, assisting or just playing good hockey.\