Wilson St. standoff ends peacefully

A 33-year-old man claiming to have a gun was arrested after three hours of negotiations with authorities Monday morning, police said. 

Police arrived at a residence in the 400 block of West Wilson Street shortly at 12:22 a.m. after a neighbor said she heard a woman crying and screaming while a man yelled, according to a police report. 

Police said David W. Taylor of Madison told them from behind a closed door that he had a gun and threatened to use it. Taylor refused to come out of the residence due to outstanding warrants for his arrest. 

According to police, three children and their mother remained inside the residence as police set up a perimeter and began negotiations with Taylor. The mother and one child were allowed to leave and shortly afterward a second child followed. Around 3:20 a.m., negotiations ended peacefully when Taylor exited, police said.  

Police arrested Taylor and tentatively charged him with failure to obey an officer's command, three counts of child neglect and domestic disorderly conduct.