UW softball splits at Desert Classic

soderberg: Sophomore center fielder Katie Soderberg had two RBIs on two hits in Wisconsin's 7-5 victory against Cal Poly Sunday.

UW softball splits at Desert Classic

Wisconsin split a pair of games on Sunday at the Louisville Slugger Desert Classic in Las Vegas, Nev., defeating Cal Poly 7-5 in the morning and losing to UCLA 4-1 in the afternoon. 

The game between the Badgers and the Mustangs went eight innings. With the score tied at four, sophomore center fielder Katie Soderberg singled down the right field line to score freshman pitcher Kirstyn Hansen and senior catcher Joey Daniels, giving Wisconsin a two-run lead. An error by Cal Poly freshman catcher Stephanie Correia allowed Wisconsin a seventh run later in the inning. 

The Mustangs had their chance in the bottom half of the inning. Cal Poly plated one run on a wild pitch, but Hansen was able to close out the inning and earn the win. 

Wisconsin was in danger of losing the ball game in the seventh inning. Cal Poly managed to put runners on first and third with two outs, but Hansen struck out sophomore first baseman Krysten Cary to end the inning. 

Hansen went 4.1 innings to earn the victory, and senior pitcher Robyn Kontra took the loss after throwing eight innings. 

Daniels had three hits and two runs scored, Soderberg drove in two runs on two hits and junior right fielder Robin Ricci had three runs batted in. 

However, Wisconsin could not capture another victory in the night cap against UCLA. The Bruins (No. 6) scored two runs early on a double by freshman center fielder GiOnna DiSalvatore, and it was all UCLA needed to put Wisconsin away. 

The Bruins tacked on another run in the sixth inning because of an error by junior left fielder Valencia Raphael who misjudged a ball off the bat of UCLA freshman right fielder Samantha Camuso. 

Senior pitcher Anjelica Selden took a no hitter into the sixth inning, but Daniels broke it up with a home run for Wisconsin's only run. The blast was the only hit all game for the Badgers.  

Selden earned her fourth victory with a complete game. Selden surrendered just one walk and struck out six batters in her one-hit performance. 

Sophomore pitcher Letty Olivarez could get through just one inning for Wisconsin. Olivarez took her third loss of the season, allowing three hits, two earned runs, and a walk after facing just five batters. 

Next up for the Badgers is the Texas Classic in Austin, Texas, beginning Feb. 29. 

- uwbadgers.com  

contributed to this report