Souper Bowl"" this weekend

UW-Madison's chapter of Habitat for Humanity will host the 12th annual Souper Bowl"" fundraiser Saturday at Madison West High School. 

The event will be presented through the combined efforts of many people within the Madison community. Local potters, in conjunction with Madison and Verona High School students, created the ceramic bowls that will be sold for $15 dollars each.  

Madison West High School art teacher Barb Drews said the fundraiser is ""a collaborative community effort,"" which has become a success through much time, effort and planning.  

Live entertainment, student pottery demonstrations, prize give-aways and a raffle for the professionally made ""Souper Bowl"" are set to continue this year as some of the event's greatest traditions. 

Additionally, there will be a ""Pro Bowl"" which will include a silent auction of professionally made bowls set to begin online and conclude at the ""Souper Bowl.""  

The fundraiser has been well attended in the past, raising $25,000 in 2007. Organizers said it is vital for the efforts of Madison's campus chapter in fulfilling HFH International's objective to rid the world of indecent housing.  

""All the money that we raise allows us to build a house in the community every year,"" said Annie Taff, UW-Madison's chapter president. ""The money that we raised last year has gone to the house that we are currently building on Erin Street."" 

A special addition to this year's event, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz plans to declare Feb. 2 ""Don Hunt Day"" in celebration of the event founder's contributions to the community.  

""This is the first time we have ever given out a communitarian award,"" said Cheryl McCollum, communications and PR director for HFH of Dane County. 

According to Drew, Hunt was the ""founding father"" of the fundraiser.  

""Without his energy, vision and commitment, this wouldn't be happening.""  

The event is 3-8 p.m. on Feb. 2. For more information, log on to www.uwhabitat.org.