SERF event to tout 'Wisconsin Wellness'

wellness_week: The third annual Wisconsin Wellness Campaign welcomes UW-Madison students and community members to promote exercise and nutrition.

SERF event to tout 'Wisconsin Wellness'

With Spring Break approaching, Saturday's Wisconsin Wellness Campaign at the Southeast Recreational Facility could not come at a better time for UW-Madison students. 

Usually within three to six months [of beginning a new exercise program], fifty percent of people drop out,"" said Lori Devine, student services program manager for Recreational Sports.  

""If we can promote making small changes that will last a lifetime, that's what really makes a difference."" 

The third-annual Wisconsin Wellness Campaign aims to promote physical activity, nutrition and disease prevention for the campus and the entire Madison community.  

According to Devine, the event encompasses the ""Wisconsin Idea"" that campus events and education should also reach out to the community. 

""A lot of the community doesn't really know what college recreational sports are,"" Devine said. ""This gives them an opportunity to come in and look at our flagship facility."" 

A wellness expo will be held in Gym 2 at the SERF, where companies and vendors that encourage a healthy lifestyle will showcase their products and services to the general public. 

""We want to show people that they really do have a lot of options out there, whether on campus or in the community,"" Devine said. ""Sometimes it's the little things that make a huge difference."" 

A diverse group of businesses will be present including Luna Bars, Sleep Number by Select Comfort, the UW Bodybuilding Club and the Westside Family Pet Clinic. 

Dr. Ken Lambrecht, owner of Westside Family Pet Clinic, said it is just as important to have an ideal weight in dogs as it is in humans. The company's booth will include information about the clinic's state-of-the-art pet fitness center and their ""Biggest Four-Pawed Losers"" contest. 

Ray Yingling, owner of Vitasource Vitamins and Sports Nutrition at 2623 Monroe St., said his business is participating in the expo to provide people with more information about sports supplements, health supplements and drug-induced nutrient depletion.  

""It's something no one has ever heard of because here in America we think we have the perfect diet and can get all the nutrients we could every possibly need from what we eat,"" he said. 

Bucky Badger will also appear at the event, and both Z104 and WIBA AM radio stations will have live remotes on site. 

The Campaign will be held March 1 at the SERF from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The first 500 people in attendance will receive a free t-shirt, and all attendees will have the opportunity to receive free food and prizes. Fitness classes will also be free and open to the public.  

For a detailed schedule and a complete list of participating businesses, visit www.recsports.wisc.edu/wwc.html.