Scientology a perplexing mix of religion, business

Every now and again there comes a story that catches - nay, demands - my attention. Political backbiting and Britney Spears have provided good media fodder as of late, but man cannot live on bread alone. Most recently I have been captivated by a story that involves two shadowy and enigmatic groups waging war via the Internet. This story has everything: religious and cultural tensions, the twists seem to be pulled straight from the first Mission: Impossible"" film and even Tom Cruise.  

Over the last few weeks, a group of hackers, calling themselves ""Anonymous,"" has vowed to bring down the Church of Scientology (CS). Their plan involves denial-of-service attacks (which involves the use of special software to effectively ""jam"" the servers hosting the Scientology websites), faxing endless loops of black paper to Scientology headquarters and attempting to publicize Scientology's ""crimes against humanity."" 

Why Scientology? Anonymous finds fault with the CS because Scientologists demand that adherents sever ties with non-affiliated family members. The hackers also claim that the CS is  

guilty of brainwashing their adherents.  

They have also been vocal critics of the fact that the CS requires members to pay enormous amounts of money as a prerequisite for their enlightenment.  

Personally, I must admit that I, too, find this financial aspect somewhat suspect. I suggest that Scientologists take a page out of the Judeo-Christian playbook and only demand 10 percent of an adherent's income (indulgences aside). It's just a suggestion, and the Scientology higher-ups are free to decide whether they want tithing to be gross income or net income (I suggest 10 percent off the top). 

Critics also charge Scientology with misleading their adherents with erroneous information: I agree, this is unacceptable. As a former adherent of organized Christianity, I find these practices among the most deplorable in the 6,000-year history of the Earth. Just kidding... 

The story has left me somewhat perplexed. At times I agree to the letter with the charges leveled against Scientology by the hackers. I believe Scientology is a business, rather than a religion. I think their tax-exempt status is ridiculous. I find their religion a ludicrously concocted set of bold-faced lies through which any discerning person should easily see. I believe they are exploiting individuals who are looking for a significant sense of purpose, but I don't think the campaign outlined by the hackers is productive or necessary. 

If a group of perfect strangers chooses to believe a set of ideals despite an enormous body of organized scientific data to the contrary, that is their own business. Furthermore, if they intend to give all their income to an organization, forego all material comfort and lead an austere lifestyle, why shouldn't they be free to do so? If people find what they are looking for in that arrangement, that's great. I can live with that. If, however, it ever spills over to affect my personal life, or strives to affect public policy, that's where I'll draw the line.  

Let people dedicate their lives to Scientology without interference. It isn't as if the world is lacking thousands of other organizations designed to take the money of the enfeebled - perhaps Las Vegas should be the next target of the hackers. These hackers don't need to protect us from ourselves - unfortunately, that's the job of the U.S. Congress.  

Come on. Scientology isn't so bad. Actually, I think we should respect Scientology for continually posting profits in such a tumultuous market.  

Perhaps they have truly found favor with their lord Xenu (not to mention that $10 million donations from the voice of Bart Simpson don't hurt either.) In the end,  

I guess I'm just too skeptical. It's too bad, in another life I could have been a Scientologist. In this life, however, I doubt any charismatic fledgling religion could ever replace the void left in my spiritual life after they deported Reverend Moon. 

Matt Jividen is a senior majoring in history. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.