Remember to Thank Hillary for Iraq"" in upcoming primary

Prior to being washed off, the phrase Thank Hillary for Iraq"" could be seen inscribed in large colorful letters on the cement pillar outside of the Memorial Library. Although this may be viewed as an exaggerated political statement, it clearly sums up the difference Wisconsin voters will see this Tuesday when choosing between Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama.  

Clinton may claim that she thought the Bush Administration was going to handle the war in a different manner. It is clear, though, that she accepted the joint resolution through the stigma that if the war was a success, those who voted for it would receive praise, while those opposed would be criticized for the majority of their political careers.  

The tables have turned on what Clinton thought was a safe strategy. Thousands of Iraqi and American deaths later, she is being criticized - as are the 76 other Democrats who backed the Republican party. 

In 2002 Obama spoke against the U.S. invasion of Iraq. His 2008 opponent assumed that this intended ""small scale"" attack would prevail within a matter of weeks, disregarding the well being of her country's soldiers and the citizens of the ""liberated"" yet insurgent flooded Iraq.  

Come Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2008, the registered Democrats of Wisconsin will be choosing between one Senator who stuck to his convictions in a time when they were unpopular and one who essentially sold out.  

If Clinton should be nominated over Obama, this country is going to see a showdown similar to what resulted in a Democratic collapse in 2004. In any debate over foreign policy and withdrawal, the Republican nominee will spearhead Clinton, easily pointing the finger at her and telling her that she agreed with them from the start.  

These attacks, which effectively ruined Kerry's credibility will find their place during Clinton's campaign whenever she attempts to attack the previous administration for the war in Iraq. Obama will not struggle when criticizing these actions. 

Clinton also lacks the support Obama is gaining from the Republican party. According to former GOP Congressman Joe Scarsborough, ""[Obama] doesn't attack Republicans."" This group, deemed ""Obamacans,"" have openly expressed hope in his candidacy, from Evangelical Christians to people as conservative as Susan Eisenhower.  

If Clinton wins the nomination this November, these ""Obamacans"" will vote based on their party identification. People will think back to the events leading up to the Monica Lewinsky scandal when Clinton, labeled the Republican party as a ""base of evil conspiracies."" 

If Clinton were to assume presidency, there would be no telling when the U.S. would withdraw from Iraq. Obama is the only candidate left who not only originally opposed the war, but who makes a point to tell the American people that withdrawing troops will be the first thing he does.  

Clinton gains much support for her expertise in domestic issues, and when it comes down to it she is undoubtedly one of the best in that category. But with regard to international issues, Clinton nearly refrains from speaking about her withdrawal strategy, which makes it difficult to endorse her as a candidate 

The Bush Administration has already spent over 150 billion dollars on the war. For every additional day that is spent in Iraq, more lives, limbs and money are lost. Considering the five-trillion dollar deficit that this country has not even come close to paying off, this war grows excedingly unnecessary. 

If voters think that this nation is going to get anywhere near national Healthcare while still in a full fledged war that Clinton has made no claim to end, they have another thing coming.  

Come Tuesday, Wisconsin has a legitimate chance to decide the fate of this year's presidential election. Either this nation will witness a battle between the lesser of two evils - both of whom voted for a war that will hinder any domestic progress - or it will have the opportunity to vote for a candidate who can positively change the United States. 

Dan Josephson is a junior majoring in political science and legal studies. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.