Obama best democratic candidate in primary

After a week of inconclusive polling, pervasive debate and candidate appearances, Wisconsin will finally take the national stage Tuesday as UW-Madison students and the rest of the state head to the polls for one of the most pivotal Democratic primaries in state history. 

For any Wisconsin resident who has paid the slightest attention to the race, the distinction between the two choices - Sens. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and Barack Obama, D-Ill. - seems clear: experience and steadiness vs. change and hope. 

The mainstream media, as well as the candidates themselves, have helped paint this popular model - that Clinton is better prepared to generate results"" while Obama has the charisma to bring about real ""change"" in Washington. 

The truth is, both candidates will incite change, and though Clinton apparently has the upper hand where experience is concerned, both seem perfectly able to follow through on  

their promises. Although Clinton and  

Obama may differ slightly on issues like the Iraq War, health care and the environment, these differences are negligible compared to what is at stake in November's general election.  

With two such viable Democratic candidates, it ultimately comes down to who is more electable. 

Both Clinton and Obama represent a drastic change from President Bush. Both would represent a historic first if elected to the White House. And despite what each may tell you, they'd likely both make a perfectly fine president. 

But only one, based solely on preaching ""words"" of emotional and intangible concepts, can attract 20,000 people to the Kohl Center. Only one can inspire traditionally apathetic demographics to come out in droves to vote. Only one can beat the word ""change"" to death so violently yet still bring crowds to their feet with each reference. 

Obama can do all of these things, and that is why he has our endorsement for the Democratic nomination. 

In a SurveyUSA poll of Wisconsin residents released Monday, Obama has the edge over likely Republican nominee Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., 52-42 percent, while Clinton trails McCain 49-42 percent. Many national polls have shown similar tendencies among the general  

public. 

Obama has won eight consecutive primaries, and though it seems trivial, he is more ""likable"" than Clinton. Although he may lack experience, some of the greatest U.S. presidents - Abraham Lincoln, for example - have been inexperienced.  

So, as Wisconsin Democrats head to the polls Tuesday with respect for both candidates, they should vote for the candidate who has the best chance of taking the White House in November. We believe this candidate is Barack Obama.