Nothing to 'rave' about

The Raveonettes: The Danish duo, the Raveonettes, fail to deliver on their latest, but the album does feature some catchy tunes and sparkling pop sounds.

Nothing to 'rave' about

Any fan of the Raveonettes' strange and distant sound will probably enjoy their new album Lust, Lust, Lust if they can get past its long, repetitive beginning. Although the album has some very ear-friendly parts, it's a bit of a downer on the whole.  

Every song on this album is a love song, or at least a bitchy lament of one. The Danish duo really know how to pump out emotional tripe, which is only good if the listener enjoys overly dramatic lyrics set to mildly danceable beats. This is either a concept album trying to capture the sad, distant nature of a doomed relationship or just an exercise in mulling over the past.  

The best way to describe this album is as a new, but ill-fated, courtship: interesting, then down, then up, down and then dead. This makes sure the listener really gets the point: Who cares?' 

After a few songs, the thin film of this art album wears off and the heavily influenced nature of the Raveonettes grinds a little bit too hard.  

The Raveonettes are not afraid to let thier influences show through their music and that's fine, but if so, what separates the Raveonettes from their influences? Not much. Lust, Lust, Lust sounds like an uninterested version of the Everly Brothers playing surf rock while strung out on heroine and pretending to be the Velvet Underground, nearly replicating the sound of Jesus and Mary Chain.  

Even with the heavy influences, this is an adequate pop album. It has a washed-out, sparkling sound, using light, high, short notes that pierce through the heavy feedback to create a fuzzy astral buzz similar to their previous albums. It's great for background music, waking up or spinning into a deep mire of lovesick depression.  

Lust is best when it capitalizes on driving hooks and echoes of surf rock. Starting with ""Blush,"" Lust really starts to pick up their fun sound from previous albums. There are also some very catchy songs like ""Sad Transmission"" and ""You Want the Candy"" that can be played over and over again. Unfortunately, the fun is short lived and Lust sinks back into the love-tinged melancholy of the first half. 

Overall this would make a decent addition to a late-night road trip soundtrack, but it would need to be sandwiched between something with some bite so the driver doesn't fall asleep at the wheel.