Flu season hits later than expected

The influenza outbreak because of this year's inadequate vaccine has sent several UW-Madison students to University Health Services and Meriter Hospital. 

UHS has administered more than 7,300 free flu shots to students this season, according to Mary Makarushka, communications manager of University Health Services. 

Hospitals have diagnosed three different strains of influenza this year. Unfortunately, the vaccine only protects against one of them, according to Sarah Van Orman, director of clinical services of UHS. 

In the past week we saw 40 patients during the week, which is about 7 percent of our visits,"" Orman said. 

The flu outbreak happened later this year than in the past, Orman said. The outbreak would have typically occurred in early January.  

""That's significant for students because we know that the flu spreads based on how close people are working together,"" Orman said. Now, more students are back on campus in the midst of flu season. 

""College campuses are probably one of the most vulnerable places for things to spread,"" said Mae Knowles, a spokesperson for Meriter Hospital. The large groups of students living in crowded settings make it easier for the virus to spread.  

Orman recommended students stay home to prevent the spread of influenza and communicate with their professors ahead of time.  

""Take that time to let your body heal and rest,"" Orman said. 

Half of the patients that reported to Meriter Hospital with flu symptoms this year have had a positive flu test of either strain A or strain B, according to Knowles. 

Out of those who tested positive for the flu, about a quarter of them had to be hospitalized for a variety of reasons, according to DeAnn Richards, RN and infection controls practicioner. 

""For the younger individuals we're just seeing the typical flu issues of high fevers, general body aches, difficulties with shortness of breath and a productive cough,"" Richards said. 

To prevent the spread of influenza, Orman advised students to wash their hands and use hand sanitizer.  

""The big thing we stress is to be very cautious about respiratory hygiene,"" Orman said. 

Richards advised ""cold respiratory etiquette,"" or covering your cough with a tissue. 

Health practitioners still encourage students to get the flu vaccine because it will make the influenza case milder, Knowles said.  

Orman said the flu vaccine is still available at University Health Services, and students can make an appointment for the same day or the next day.