First annual \Crownsy Awards"" in Big Ten Conference

Every time my boyfriend gets his hands on the TV remote, I already know what he is going to change the channel to: ESPN. Well, it's either that or the weather channel. Don't ask. I seriously don't know what he finds so interesting about storm patterns, not that there is anything wrong with that.  

However, watching the top-ten sports plays of the day definitely tops Doppler radar reports and tales of tornadoes. But that's just my opinion. Needless to say, there have been quite a few strong ball players in the Big Ten this season, and since ESPN takes up most of my free time, I figured I would take this opportunity to highlight some top performers. 

Top Shooter 

Cash, Money"" 

Eric Gordon - Indiana 

This freshman guard has been the spark for the Hoosiers all season. He currently leads the Big Ten in scoring with 21.8 points per game this season. Gordon leads the Big Ten in free-throw shooting by making 131 of 154 free throws, averaging just over 85 percent. Gordon is also a sharp shooter from beyond the 3-point arc and is currently ranked fifth in the conference. From 3-point land, he is shooting just over 41 percent. 

Other great shooters: Jamar Butler, Ohio State; Drew Neitzel, Michigan State; Justin Johnson, Iowa. 

Strongest Post Player 

""The Put Back King"" 

D.J. White - Indiana 

White was the leading rebounder for the Hoosiers last season, averaging just over seven rebounds per game. This season, White has an average of 10.7 rebounds per game. Sixty-one of those rebounds were offensive, resulting in several put-back opportunities for the senior forward. He is also the second leading scorer in the Big Ten with 17.5 points per game, all of which have come from within the 3-point line.  

Other top rebounders: Gordon Suten, Michigan State; Shaun Pruitt, Illinois; Brian Butch, Wisconsin. 

Best Passer 

""Dime Dropper"" 

Jamar Butler - Ohio State 

Butler is a very experienced ball player for Ohio State and proves it on the court. The senior guard is averaging over six assists per game, while also knocking down big shots when left open. He already has 145 assists this season, along with 65 3-pointers. Butler has an eye for finding the open man and feeds his post players when they are open. However, when teams start doubling down, he finds an opening and makes the baskets when they count. 

Other outstanding passers: Travis Walton, Michigan State; Drew Neitzel, Michigan State; Chester Frazier, Illinois. 

Best Ball Handler 

""Consistently Solid"" 

Drew Neitzel - Michigan State 

With the strongest turnover/assist ratio in the Big Ten, Neitzel has proven to be the most solid individual within the Spartan offense. Besides being strong with the ball, this senior guard is one of the best shooters and passers Michigan State has produced in years. Last season, Neitzel was granted first-team all-conference honors and looks to make that a repeat. 

Other solid ball handlers: Travis Walton, Michigan State; Michael Thompson, Northwestern; Armon Bassett, Indiana. 

Best Defender 

""The Hawk"" 

Michael Flowers - Wisconsin 

Flowers has been blooming on defense all season long. This senior made one of the biggest defensive plays for the Badgers this season against Texas when he made a game winning shot and then stole the in-bound pass to seal the victory. 

Flowers' ball pressure and ability to shut down opponents has allowed teammates like Trevon Hughes to step in passing lanes and gamble on the defensive end. In fact, Hughes currently leads the Big Ten in steals, largely because of Flowers' ball pressure. 

Other great defenders: Al Nolen, Minnesota; Chris Kramer, Purdue; Trevon Hughes, Wisconsin.  

Most Ups 

""The One Man Wall"" 

Ekpe Udoh - Michigan 

Standing at 6'10"", this sophomore center has been the most athletic single-man barrier in the Big Ten this season. Udoh has 63 total blocks, averaging out to 2.9 blocks per game. As a freshman, Udoh averaged just under two blocks per game. He is only eight blocks away from tying his blocking total from last season. 

Other blocking leaders: Kosta Koufos, Ohio State; D.J. White, Indiana; Kurt Looby, Iowa. 

Best Coach 

""Sideline Sensation"" 

Bo Ryan - Wisconsin 

Ever since head coach Bo Ryan was welcomed by the Badgers in 2001, the team has been a top contender in the Big Ten Conference. Ryan has the highest overall winning percentage in the entire NCAA among coaches with at least 20 years of college-level coaching experience.  

Wisconsin is currently tied with Purdue for first place in the Big Ten and has only three losses this season. The team's only loss in the Big Ten came less than two weeks ago at Purdue. The lowest the Badgers have finished since he has been in charge was tied for fourth place two years ago.  

Other great coaches: Matt Painter, Purdue; Kelvin Sampson, Indiana; Tom Izzo, Michigan State. 

Best Style 

""Lookin' Good"" 

Trevon Hughes - Wisconsin 

I can't name another ball player in the Big Ten who is fashionable every game. His hair looks good, his uniform fits him well and he's got game. Hughes can do crazy things with the ball and has a great looking jump shot.  

Hughes' behind the back pass to Flowers against Indiana was amazing, and when he does something awesome, you get to see the Trevon smirk. The guy obviously has great style, just take a look at him. 

Other stylish players: Jason Bohannon, Wisconsin; Marcus Landry, Wisconsin; Michael Flowers, Wisconsin. 

If you would like to nominate any other players or suggest another category for the ""Crownsy Awards,"" e-mail her at crowns@wisc.edu.