Court candidate Gableman says he is a 'judicial conservative'

Gableman: Supreme Court candidate Michael Gableman spoke at the UW-Madison Law School Tuesday, focusing on his experience.

The Federalist Society hosted Wisconsin Supreme Court candidate Michael Gableman Monday at the UW-Madison Law School. 

Gableman is running as a judicial conservative, which he said differs from a political conservative. 

As a judicial conservative, one follows the law, whether the law is based on liberal or conservative principles, according to Gableman. 

Gableman said he stands for a law-based, non-partisan court citizens statewide desire. 

Gableman said he has extensive of experience in law enforcement, particularly in domestic-violence cases and cases of violence committed by the mentally ill. He said he has led inmate community service programs, including a drug and alcohol rehabilitation program.  

Effective service programs stop habitual offenders and develop them as active participants in the community through various jobs, Gableman said. 

Gableman said cases involving mental illnesses and drug and alcohol addiction concern him most. He said such cases should be dealt with differently than other criminal matters. 

We see over and over again the intersection of the application of the criminal law with such issues of mental illness and drug and alcohol addiction."" Gableman said. 

He said an effective resolution for cases concerning these issues is to create inmate service programs like those already used around the state. 

If elected, Gableman said he would perform tasks outside the ""traditional duties"" of a Supreme Court Justice. The tasks would include speaking to the public about law enforcement and sharing his personal experience with drug and alcohol cases.  

UW-Madison student Alfonso Cornish attended the speech to learn more about Gableman but said he has not decided whom he will support in the election. 

Cornish said the current race for state Supreme Court is very competitive because the two candidates differ in judicial philosophy.  

Incumbent Supreme Court Justice Louis Butler is running against Gableman for a 10-year term on the court.  

Gableman is currently a district judge of Burnett County. 

UW-Madison student Evan Tenebruso said Gableman talked about issues that do not specifically affect students but do affect residents overall in the state.