Campaign finance reform bills pass in Senate committee

Special Session Bill 1, a combination of several proposed campaign finance reform bills, passed out of the state Senate Committee on Campaign Finance Reform, Rural Issues and Information Technology Thursday. 

SSB 1 is the result of a compromise between Sen. Michael Ellis, R-Neenah, and Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Waunakee, and treats both political parties equally, according to Julie Laundrie, spokesperson for Sen. Erpenbach. 

Even though the Senate is likely to pass the bill, it will face a tough challenge from the Republican-controlled state Assembly, according to Jay Heck, executive director of the ethics reform group Common Cause in Wisconsin.  

Heck said Assembly leadership has previously held up finance reform bills. 

However, according to Heck, Assembly leadership should allow this bill to be withdrawn from committee and voted on because it would be beneficial to Wisconsin. 

I think people in Wisconsin are sick and tired of the nastiness of these campaigns, the expense, the special interest domination ... I think people are ready for reform,"" Heck said. 

According to Carrie Lynch, spokesperson for Sen. Russ Decker, D-Weston, it is unlikely the Assembly will pass SSB 1 if they do not act on the Impartial Justice Bill, a reform bill regarding Supreme Court elections that Assembly leadership has not allowed to be withdrawn from committee. 

Mike McCabe, director of the ethics reform group Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, said he believes SSB 1 would pass in the Senate and Assembly, but the future of the bill will come down to whether or not Assembly leaders allow it to be acted on. 

""It's a good sign that the Senate is willing to bring these bills up for vote ... the fate of reform really depends on whether or not the Assembly is willing to do the same,"" McCabe said.