Texas couple funds music scholarships: Scholarships called 'best' in history of music school

In late December, the UW-Madison School of Music announced Glen and Winifred Skillrud of San Antonio, Texas would fully fund two students starting in the fall of 2008.  

The Skillrud's goal was to fund students at the level that allows them the opportunity for total immersion into their studies without concern for the need to work,"" said John Schaffer, director of UW-Madison School of Music. 

The gifts are called the two best undergraduate scholarships in the history of the UW-Madison School of Music. The scholarships will be granted to one student interested in theatrical or classical piano and one student interested in soprano voice.  

Interested students will have to undergo rigorous auditions in order to obtain the scholarships. According to Schaffer, the faculty has already auditioned some of the best undergraduate sopranos they've heard in years. 

The two students chosen to receive gifts will have all school expenses covered, including tuition, textbooks and room and board. As a bonus, the two students will also receive additional funding to purchase proper recital wear.  

According to the school of Music statement, the Skillruds donated out of Winifred's passion for music.  

Throughout her career, Winifred has sung for soldiers during World War II and has performed for President Reagan. 

""These scholarships are in honor of all the hard work she did to develop her musical talents,"" Glen said in a statement.  

Even though the UW-Madison School of Music ranks in the top five percent in the nation, music school officials said the Glen and Wendy Skillrud Music Scholarships would help boost the school's overall popularity.  

According to Schaffer, the Skillruds' donation will help him recruit top Wisconsin high school musicians to the UW-Madison School of Music instead of other top music schools like Juliard. 

The funding for next semester's scholarships is already in place and auditions will continue through the beginning of the spring of 2008.