Showdown in Mad-town

Showdown in Mad-town: The Badgers will need a solid performance from senior forward Brian Butch if they are to compete with the Hoosiers Thursday night.

Showdown in Mad-town

Wisconsin's loss to Purdue last weekend put an abrupt end to its 10-game winning streak, but the No. 13 Badgers can put their season back on track with a crucial Big Ten victory over the No. 11 Hoosiers Thursday night at the Kohl Center. 

Both teams will be especially hungry for an in-conference victory, as the Badgers and Hoosiers were both upset in losses last Saturday. The Badgers (16-3 overall, 6-1 Big Ten) fell on the road to Purdue by a score of 60-56, while the Hoosiers (17-2 overall, 6-0 Big Ten) were defeated at home by the UConn Huskies, 68-63. 

The Hoosiers are a balanced squad with big playmakers both inside and on the perimeter. Senior forward DJ White has been consistent in the post for the Hoosiers, averaging 17 points and 10 rebounds per game this season.  

Another standout is Freshman of the Year candidate and Big Ten leading scorer Eric Gordon. Gordon has been spectacular for the Hoosiers this season, averaging 22 points, three rebounds and three assists per contest. At Monday's press conference, Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan expressed his praise for Gordon's high level of play. 

There's a lot of guys that have some natural ability, athletic ability, but it's what you do with it,"" Ryan said. ""And Eric Gordon has definitely been one of those guys that has worked at his game. He is that kind of all-around player that comes along every once in a while.""  

However, Ryan also emphasized Wisconsin's need to not put too much focus on Gordon defensively because of Indiana's other weapons.  

""[Indiana has] a lot of other players too,"" Ryan said. ""That's what makes it tough. You can't just gear on one."" 

In the Badgers' last contest against Purdue, the team stayed strong defensively, holding the Boilermakers to just 38 percent shooting. However, Wisconsin seemed flustered on the offensive side. The Badgers shot an uncharacteristically low 39 percent from the field, while they have shot 47 percent total for the entire season. Additionally, Wisconsin shot just 12-of-19 from the free throw line. 

Senior guard Michael Flowers and sophomore guard Trevon Hughes will need to play at a high intensity defensively to limit Gordon's production, as well as freshman guard Jordan Crawford and sophomore guard Armon Bassett on the perimeter. Both guards are averaging double-figure point totals for the Hoosiers at 12 and 11 points, respectively. 

Wisconsin will also look to avenge its last matchup against the Hoosiers, a 71-66 loss exactly one year ago in Bloomington, Ind. Senior center Brian Butch had just three points in that contest, and Wisconsin will need Butch to step up offensively to match-up with White. Butch is coming off an impressive 20-point, 13-rebound performance against the Boilermakers. 

Thursday night's tipoff is set for 8 p.m. Following the game, the Badgers will have little time to recover, as they must travel to Minnesota for a Sunday afternoon matchup with the Gophers.